yoyo question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cougargirl50

Aquarium Advice Regular
I recently bought 3 yoyo loaches to take care of my snails. And they did a really great job (should have bought them long before now) and anyway, since I had bought them a week and a day ago one has died. Poor thing. The other two were doing great until last night. They both had beautiful color and everything. Last night I was watching them and watched them both what looked like fighting over a snail. I watched the color on both of them change into a pale looking color. They kinda chased each other for a couple minutes I suppose, and then they left each other alone. Well this morning when my light kicked on I went downstairs to feed them and they both have their real nice color back and the one is swimming around like nothing ever happened, but the other one is kinda being shy now and kinda just laying on the bottom, not near as active as it was before. Did my other yoyo loach hurt it or something? I really don't want to lose a second one. I really think the yoyo loaches are pretty to look at. I think the first one was sick when I got it.

Can someone help me please?

Thanks a bunch.

Well YoYos always make a pecking order between themselves, so maybe thats what they were doing? If it was already made, maybe the weaker one was challenging the leader and they got into a fight. If it doesnt look hurt, but is just shy, its probably because its the weakest one in a group of 2. Maybe you should buy a couple more.

I do want to get some more. When I lost the one the other day, I decided to get some more but my lfs doesn't have any in right now. So I have to wait and keep checking in to see when they are coming in.

I have 2 yoyo's and they have never been any serious fighting.

I suppose in a 3 they have more of a pecking order and it takes some sorting out.
Mine is simple, 1 is bigger so the small 1 has to watch his/her back. (think its a girl) My brother has 3 Striata (spelling?) Well i call them zebra's and they have had a small sparring over food but that seems natural, my little fish (top dwellers) always do it.

Im sorry to hear if your loss, they are fantastic fish! Get some more its a big tank!

Also, if you dont have driftwood; get it. My YoYo's LOVE to go inside the holes of my driftwood (I always pick ones with MANY hiding spots). If they have their own little spot (which they decide based on the pecking order), in stress situations; they always go rite in; and feel much more secure.

My one is very active. Butthe other one doesnt do anything anymore. I look at it as if I got fish that just lay on the bottom and do nothing what is the sense of having them. When I can get fish that actually move.

Thanks for the advice.

yoyos

My yoyos are very active also. As they get older they get more timid tho. I also bought mine to contol a snail population. Now I need a supply of snails to keep them fed. Anyon e have any extra?

These loaches like to be in groups--when more yo-yos show up in your area, get a few more! In the meantime, make sure there is enough food for both of them and plenty of hiding spots.

I have had three yo-yos for two years--they are very active at feeding time, and I rarely see them at other times. They really enjoy their hiding spots!

My yoyo's also love their driftwood! They love their algae wafers and do have a pecking order it seems. They play fight at least once a day, usually when I turn the lights on in the morning. It's as if they think each new day is a new tank or something! No one has sustained any injuries though, they just establish who is boss!

I can only repeat what everyone has said already about YoYo and thier pecking order. Mine will chase eachother about every once in a while. One of them will usually fade his color for a day or two, it is usually no big deal.

Here are some of my YoYo's being "loachy" around the tank.

Botia_almorhae-c.jpg

I've had my yo-yos for 5+ years now and i've seen their colors fade at times, but I've heard it can be moods, fighting, stress etc. Mine are also very active (most of the time).

If you don't have snails, try anything ... mine like tubifex, shrimp pellets, bloodworms, algae wafers, New Life Spectrum, and pretty much anything I put in the tank (although I've halted on the meaty foods due to my new cichlid population).

Back
Top Bottom