Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-15-2007, 08:13 PM   #1
kaz
Aquarium Advice Addict

Yoyo Questions

I believe I have a male Yoyo, they told me to get 2 more a total of 3 includeing mine, they do better this way. so i am looking around, the question is would it be better to get a 2 females, 1 male 1 female or 2 males? the way i read you can tell female from male is that the male has slight brown/red wiskers. the picture you cant tell but he does.

6 Rummy Nose, 9 Ottos, 2 Yoyo Loach, 1 Golden Nugget Pleco, 2 Julli's Cory, 4 Angelicus Botia, 1 Chocolate Kuhli Loach, 3 Ghost Shrimp, 1 SAE, 1 Black Mollie, 1 Redeye Swordtail Mollie, 1 C-Pleco, MTS, Guppy's
Plants
Argentine Sword, Amazon Sword, Micro Sword, Xmas Moss, Pennywort, Hornwort, Jave Fern, Baby Tears, Moneywort, Ludwigia, Wisteria, Giant Bacoba, Hygro 'Sunset'
kaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2007, 10:46 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Activist

I have 6 yoyos and had no idea that they were sexable? Even if this is true I would guess that it only applies to mature fish which would be 3-4" for a yoyo?

A single loach is usually a much more aggressive loach. They really should be kept in groups of at least 3 for their sake and others. When in groups they tend to chanse each other around and not other fish. I have 9 species of loach and find that my yoyos are the most aggressive towards other fish and tend to nibble some plants while my Blue Botias are the most aggressive towards there own species.

Old 01-15-2007, 11:40 PM   #3
Algae Fighter

Send a message via MSN to JustOneMore20
I don't think the male to female ratio matters really. I have 4 and like the poster above, have no idea what sex they are. I just figured that my 2 fatter ones were female, but really I don't know. I think having them in a group is more important than having so many females to males.

JustOneMore20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2007, 01:56 AM   #4
kaz
Aquarium Advice Addict

from my research the males have redish nose/mouth/bristols the female do not.

since I have got about three days ago 4 angelicus botias my yoyo just wont come out to even feed.
6 Rummy Nose, 9 Ottos, 2 Yoyo Loach, 1 Golden Nugget Pleco, 2 Julli's Cory, 4 Angelicus Botia, 1 Chocolate Kuhli Loach, 3 Ghost Shrimp, 1 SAE, 1 Black Mollie, 1 Redeye Swordtail Mollie, 1 C-Pleco, MTS, Guppy's
Plants
Argentine Sword, Amazon Sword, Micro Sword, Xmas Moss, Pennywort, Hornwort, Jave Fern, Baby Tears, Moneywort, Ludwigia, Wisteria, Giant Bacoba, Hygro 'Sunset'
kaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2007, 06:43 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via ICQ to zenkatydid Send a message via AIM to zenkatydid Send a message via MSN to zenkatydid
it doesn't matter what sexes they are, yoyos don't really have that sort of social structure as far as i know. just get 2 more and your yoyo will be happy.
zenkatydid is offline   Reply With Quote

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com