Yuck! Algae

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mamapuffer

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have set up a brackish tank for my daughter about a month ago, two weeks after sitting it up Brown algae started to grow rapidly in the tank. I have tried to keep everything clean and only turn the light on for about four hours at a time. The fish store said they was getting to much light. And I am still having trouble with it. I have gotten the water tested and it was fine. I already have had two puffers die on me. Please help what am I doing wrong?! And what else can I do?

Sent from my SM-G730V using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Thanks I will just keep at it then.

I forgot to ask about your Puffers...

My puffers have been fresh water...a true red eyed puffer and a malabar puffer, I had the first 6 years and she died from old age, the other I have had for a year.

I have a brackish tank with 3 bumblebee gobys and a balloon mollie and they are happy.

My son had green spotted puffers for years which I would take of when he was on vacation

What is your question on Puffers?

I have set up a brackish tank for my daughter about a month ago, two weeks after sitting it up Brown algae started to grow rapidly in the tank. I have tried to keep everything clean and only turn the light on for about four hours at a time. The fish store said they was getting to much light. And I am still having trouble with it. I have gotten the water tested and it was fine. I already have had two puffers die on me. Please help what am I doing wrong?! And what else can I do?

What kind of light? What wattage? What kind of Puffers?
What size tank? Details please.

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2

20 gal, figure eight puffer and the wattage im not sure it seems a lot brighter than my other tanks though

Well if you added fish too soon the tank probably wasn't cycled.
What is fine ? What are the test results ?

Puffers tend to need large tanks for their size as they are very messy due to diet AFAIK. Live Aquaria lists 30g minimum for Figure 8s.

I'm wondering if high Nitrates might have helped an algae bloom ??

Sorry you are losing fish. You just had one Puffer at a time right ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom