Yuck Brown diatom algae at 3.5 weeks old tank (sort of)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

betowess

Aquarium Advice Freak
Though I see a little green algae starting on my bogwood, these diatoms are going fairly prolific. Probably am feeding the fish too much. Nitrites seem are holding at around 1ppm. kh 4 ph7, gh7 ,temp. 77 f... Should I bring down the lights to 8 to 10hrs from 12, cut off all dead leaves? Starve the fish for a few days...? I've been trying to avoid much of of a water change to get through the cycle.
I'd rather not have to mess with a diatom filter as I don't own a canister or the right equip. Could these diatoms be extending the cycle time as them consume Nitrates from what I've read?

Last question... Any opinions on Allgone. I thought I read somewhere its kinda not a great idea with a planted tank since it goes after Nitrates so much??? :?:

Just started some Co2 at about 1 bubble per 3 seconds through an airstone. Waiting on a small reactor to arrive.

Diatoms are expected during the cycle process and will eventually go away as they aren't as good at competing for food as other algaes. In time... no more brown.... of course the brown will just be replaced with green. :wink:

I wouldn't suggest using chemicals to rid the problem since it will self correct. If you really want a way to control it then add some Otos. I had a big Diatom problem and purchased 3 Otos. Diatom's seem to be the food of choice for the Otos! They won't eat anything else I offer and have just about cleared out my 55g tank of the brown stuff.... its only been a week! They are good cleaners and won't harm your plants. The only thing they don't seem to clean well is the glass... Otos don't do windows. :lol:

Thanks Atodaj! I'll handle the windows and get a couple of little Oto cats. I'm not going to miss the brown junk. Appreciate your feedback!! :) Betowess

They don't do windows?? Damn LOL I'm gonna need a maid then; my tank is covered on one side by algae and I was hoping the otos (in QT atm) would help get rid of it there as well as on my plants.

And betowess? I'd cut down on feedings and trim away the dead stuff if you can get to it. While you certainly want the tank to cycle, you don't really want to expose the fish to nitrogenous waste levels; getting the dead stuff out and not feeding as much will help keep those levels from spiking too highly.

I agree with Atoda. I never use chemicals unless I can't avoid it (like dechlor; its the only chem I use. I didn't even treat ich with meds).

They don't do windows??

Sorry Alli, nothing I know of does windows! Well my snails and SAEs do eat the stuff off the glass, but not good enough to keep me from having to clean the glass once or twice a week.

And betowess? I'd cut down on feedings and trim away the dead stuff if you can get to it.

Agreed 100%, and you should also go to 9-10 hours of light per day for a while.

Back
Top Bottom