Zebra danio acting strange

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fishdok

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have moved 3 goldfish from a tank to a pond amd they're doing great ,i do have one worry about the two small fish still remaining in my tank one zebra danio and one red platy , i realise these are social fish but unfortunetly i havent got an opportunity to get more fish in the tank for a while , but i will as soon as possible , the zebra danio in particular is darting up and down the tank and its gills are moving really fast the red platy has calmed down now i hope the danio does the same , any advice to make this experience easier for them would be greatley appreciated!? thanks :)

Is this tank heated? Zebra danios, or any danios for that matter, are very energetic. Is there enough surface agitation to oxygenate the water? Does it look like they're gasping? Hopefully someone else will come along and be able to tell you for sure if it's something wrong.

Courtesy of Dakota's iPod.

No the tank isn't heated zebra danios do fine in coldwater amd the red platu has by chance been copeing very well (the tank is not COLD becUse it is in a warmer room and has a light that heats it abit) i think the problem may be that its one zebra danio on its own with no other danios., ive read that they get very scared when alone?

fishdok said:
No the tank isn't heated zebra danios do fine in coldwater amd the red platu has by chance been copeing very well (the tank is not COLD becUse it is in a warmer room and has a light that heats it abit) i think the problem may be that its one zebra danio on its own with no other danios., ive read that they get very scared when alone?

What is the exact temp of the tank? Zebra danios are tropical fish Jo do best in the mid seventies. I own them, and have done lots of research.

Also, six is the minimum for danios. I thought you had something about how you were already getting more when you could.

Hmm zebra danios can be kept in both tropical and coldwater tanks as they have a wide temperature range (i know this because i got this advice off fish keeping proffesionals who have been keeping fish in the family for decades! And even own there own shop) , yea i did mention that i onky have one and will be getting more as soon as possible , im not sure of the exact temperature sorry

Okay. I'm not sure what else to say. It's probably the lack of a proper school, like you said. He'll probably be happy to get a family when possible.

Bettababe1011 said:
Okay. I'm not sure what else to say. It's probably the lack of a proper school, like you said. He'll probably be happy to get a family when possible.

I read that danios will die from.loneliness.

Sent from my DROIDX using Aquarium

What size is your tank? Danios need room to swim.

Sent from my DROIDX using Aquarium

yea im worried he'll die , but he's a strong little fella and ive had him for almsot two years and i PRAY he lives until i can get him proper tank mates :)

How is your water quality? You didn't add any water to the tank without dechlorinating it first did you?

It may just be stress, but check to make sure that you're not having any other problems.

i only have three zebra danios, (the recommended is 6+) and they seem alright, they dart around and swim round the top of the tank naturally, so i wouldn't worry too much about that! :D and the main thing that's been suggested is to get some more- and your planning on doing that, so i don't think there's much else you CAN do, really, you'll just have to see if it's behavior improves with other tank mates! All the best! :D

Back
Top Bottom