Zebra Danio and Black Skirt Tetra...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

HOLLIEO

Aquarium Advice Freak
Okay, I am trying to add some fish again to my 20 gallon tank (the first set didn't make it :cry: ). I had some goldfish, but now trying something differnt. Not sure if it has gone through the cycle yet (first set up 6/6), but I am trying to make sure all levels and temps are okay for the fish. I just added (Sunday 6/22) 5 Zebra Danios, 4 Black Skirted Tetras, and 1 Pictus Catfish (my daughter had to have it and it was her birthday.... :wink: ). I have a 20 gallon tank with a bubble tube/wand, a penplax corner filter, a Penguin Biowheel 125 and a heater that says 75°. The heater may say that but the glass thermometer says 78° and the floating thermometer says 80°f. Anyway, I am not sure if I have my tank at the right temp and also what would be a good PH level for these fish?

Hey Hollieo,

Your temperature is probably between 78-80. The thermometers on heaters are always wrong. Go by your other thermometers to get an accurate reading. That temp is fine for tropical fish.

As far as the pH, both of those fish will do good in a pH range of 6.0-7.5.

Thanks a bunch!!!
So, I am all new to this stuff... What am I to do if the PH is too high?
I really don't have an accurate test yet, since I was using pool test strips. I am still waiting for my test to come in the mail (it was cheaper than in the store). :oops:

What is your pH level at now? If it is in the 7.5 area I wouldn't touch it for these fish. Is your tank cycled yet? Remember, that the end product of nitrification is nitric acid. What does this mean to you? That acid will cause the pH to lower over time. Within a month or so you may discover that your pH has naturally fallen to 7.0 or so.

IMO you are adding too many fish too fast. Especially if you arent sure the tank has cycled yet. You can expect a pretty good ammonia spike, so you want to watch for it and be ready to do some water changes.

Okay, so my PH leve is 7.8-8.4 and the crazy thing is.... it hasen't change with the fish load. This is the PH of the water from the tap and it tests the same way in the tank with the fish after a week.

Back
Top Bottom