Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 11-12-2014, 08:22 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

Zebra Danio getting brutish

So I had 2 Zebra Danios as part of my starter cycle fish.

They survived (I used a safe start bacteria which is mainly why I think).

Anyway One has become a complete monster chasing everything smaller than him. I dont see him nipping but he seems to love chasing my new blue eyed rainbow fish which were rather expensive compared to HIM and I dont want him stressing them to death as they are still juvinile.

I know Danios do better in groups and getting a couple more might possibly help direct some of the aggression but then I think it might not.

My buddy has one danio left in his tank (his died on him) and he was willing to take my two. If my shoes would you guys get a couple different (non zebra) danios to try and disperse the aggression into a school or just pass them on?

thanks

Old 11-12-2014, 08:34 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Do you like the fish, or naw?

Old 11-12-2014, 09:02 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

I personally can't stand zebra danios, they're like that little kid at a family party constantly running around causing a ruckus. .. if you like them buy 4 more.. if not? Pass them along..

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app
Old 11-12-2014, 09:06 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by FWFishTanks View Post
Do you like the fish, or naw?
honestly not especially.
Old 11-12-2014, 09:06 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by evil Nick View Post
honestly not especially.
Then I would give them to your friend.
Old 11-12-2014, 09:08 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brookster123 View Post
I personally can't stand zebra danios, they're like that little kid at a family party constantly running around causing a ruckus. .. if you like them buy 4 more.. if not? Pass them along..

Haha never thought of it that way. My clown pleco is the opposite, he is just a fun hating grouch on his driftwood rocking chair.
Old 11-12-2014, 09:10 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Haha never thought of it that way. My clown pleco is the opposite, he is just a fun hating grouch on his driftwood rocking chair.
I forget I have a pleco sometimes.. he'll pop out after food and I'll be happily reminded of his presence..

Old 11-12-2014, 09:14 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brookster123 View Post
I forget I have a pleco sometimes.. he'll pop out after food and I'll be happily reminded of his presence..

I notice mine, because the angels are trolls and steal his food when he is distracted. He gets mad and chases the angels, and anything close to to his food away, so I always see him during feeding time.
Old 11-12-2014, 09:26 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

all my fish are cool, even my little angel gets along quite fine (young though now) with my platy and molly. I recently even got ONE rainbow shark and he seems quite content with everything else.
I'll just be PO'd if one of my nice little rainbow fish get annoyed to death by this 2$ trash fish. Ill literally crucify it by its fins outside the tank as a warning to the rest lol.

I have one other Danio that cool as heck though so even though Im not crazy about them I dont mind hes there. But I would let them go in a pair and that would open a slot for a fish Id actually want.
Old 11-12-2014, 10:08 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by evil Nick View Post
lll literally crucify it by its fins outside the tank as a warning to the rest lol.
A bit harsh, don't you think?
Old 11-12-2014, 11:11 AM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
A bit harsh, don't you think?
Not if he kills my 15$ trio of rainbows its not lol
Old 11-12-2014, 06:46 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict

Zebra danios are one of the worst possible fish to have in small numbers as cycle fish... They get bored VERY easily if they don't have a long enough tank to race up and down, and if they don't have enough friends (a school of 8+) to pester. As you've found, they can be quite nasty to the fish you add once the tank is cycled if you haven't met their needs. If their needs are met, they usually don't bother anyone else and just spend all day chasing each other and adding lots of activity to the tank. I strongly recommend passing them onto your friend if you're not willing to give them a decent sized school to play with.
Old 11-13-2014, 07:29 AM   #13
Aquarium Advice Freak

Yeah, pass em on. Next time you cycle a tank, get the hardiest fish from your planned fish (I cycled with 4 black neon tetras) and old filter media, 8-12 days and it was done because of the old filter media.

Sent from my iPod touch using Aquarium Advice
Old 11-13-2014, 07:55 AM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict

Gave them to my buddy last night. Man I have either dying or REALLY cool happy fish cause it wasn't even hard to catch them. In fact most of my fish thought it was dinner time and were trying to get in my way.

Anyway I brought them to his tank which has more artificial decor and bubble stones and one Danio left. His other ones apparently died (2 of them). He was talking about how his last Danio (albino with long fins) was looking unhealthy and He didn't think it might make it but as soon as mine dropped in it perked up and all 3 were going nuts. It seemed this was the better option for me, him AND all the fish.

Also Im happy to open space to get a couple more neon tets and blue eyes rainbows to complete my schools, then Im done for a while.

Thanks all

Tags
danio, zebra, zebra danio

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com