Zebra Danios dead after water change

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
IME many tetras have a 2-3 year life span, some much longer. That doesn't mean that you aren't getting older fish from the LFS. That's why I always try to get young fish that aren't yet full-grown.

When I worked for the local fish store (as a tank cleaner) we did weekly 25-80% water changes with cold water and no dechlorinator (chlorine is actually very unstable and the aeration of the water hitting the surface breaks up the molecule) and we rarely had any fish deaths. So while its definitely possible that it was temp or pH shock, I think it could be just as equally possible something else has changed in the water like WendiDell mentioned. It could be a number of issues...such as some other sort of contamination from your hose or buckets.

Disclaimer: I would, however, definitely agree with everyone that you should be making sure the water is properly treated (tap water has other things in it that the treatment takes care of) and the right temperature, even though my pet store does not. :)

Ok well I guess I was doing it ok, I just hadn't had any die so soon after a WC. Thanks guys.

When I first started my tank I had 10am cardinal tetra (LFS didn't tells me that they aren't very hardy.) 4 got stuck in them filter intake and I put the foot of panty hose over the filter. It wasn't very pretty and my filtration was crap but hey it saved them fish.

Back
Top Bottom