zebra loach vs nerite snail

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

phin

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I'm planning on putting some nerites in my planted tank. I have a striata loach & a golden zebra loach in there. Any guesses on whether the nerites will become dinner? The loaches have ignored MTS & assasin snails before. I'm thinking they will pay no mind to the nerites, but I don't know for sure.

my loaches have ignore MTS as well, but i wouldn't risk a snail that i have spent money on and see what's going to happen next. If you're into snails and what-not, i would certainly dish out a few dollars to buy one or two mystery snails just because of their sheer size. chances are, loaches will ignore large snails while feasting on smaller ones.

Wiggles: what type of snails do your zebras eat?

The FW-acclimated nerites at my LFS are $0.99 each. I want them primarily for algae eating, I'm not really that much into snails except for their utility as an algae grazer. I've read varying accounts of nerites and loaches. Some say the nerite shell is hard, some are horned, and this deters loaches, others have said that smaller loaches like striata and some dwarf species may be more likely to leave them alone. I'm willing to chance the five dollars and put a handful of nerites in my tank, I'm just wondering what other people's experiences are.

Wiggles: what type of snails do your zebras eat?

The FW-acclimated nerites at my LFS are $0.99 each. I want them primarily for algae eating, I'm not really that much into snails except for their utility as an algae grazer. I've read varying accounts of nerites and loaches. Some say the nerite shell is hard, some are horned, and this deters loaches, others have said that smaller loaches like striata and some dwarf species may be more likely to leave them alone. I'm willing to chance the five dollars and put a handful of nerites in my tank, I'm just wondering what other people's experiences are.
I have clown loaches, zebra loaches, and polka dot loaches in my tank along with quite a few nerite snails. Ive only had my loaches eat two out of all my snails and they really dont bother them at all unless theyre really hungry. I say go for it, you'll never know if you dont try it out and at 99 cents each even if they do its not a huge loss and would be a great snack for them

Phin, where do you live? I know i've given you the advice of not trying with nerite snails and play with mystery snails instead. what i didn't realize is how cheap nerites are wherever you're at. at 99cents i would definitely try it myself. they cost 2.99 per nerite at my place, therefore i wouldn't recommend trying it at where i am.

I'm going to go with 5 or so. My LFS couldn't get them in again, says its something to do wtih the supplier, so we'll see how much they are when they do finally come in. Originally he told me 99 cents each.

Back
Top Bottom