Zebra pleco

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Readingexcalibur

Aquarium Advice Addict
My local LFS has a zebra pleco for $250.00. I am really on edge about picking it up. I already have an Adonis. Ugh, do any of you think it is worth it? The fish is extinct in the wild from my understanding and there are very few breeders out there.

My local LFS has a zebra pleco for $250.00. I am really on edge about picking it up. I already have an Adonis. Ugh, do any of you think it is worth it? The fish is extinct in the wild from my understanding and there are very few breeders out there.
Well if there is some form of refund available and you have the $ and willing to take care of its needs it might be worth it -^.^- and maybe you can be a breeder for those plecos that would make you some $

True, they have a 7 day guarantee. They need a water sample for any fish over 100$ I think. They do not seem to needy, just no other bottom feeders, PH around 7.0, etc. I would need to accurately sex it and attempt to find another. One issue, I have never seen one for sale before.

I'm sure you can find them cheaper and in a group online, picking up 2-3 juveniles. Ask fellow hobbyists first, you'll usually be better off :)

I would look online first but shipping a fish like a zebra pleco is always scary because there is always a chance the fish could die during shipping

I would look online first but shipping a fish like a zebra pleco is always scary because there is always a chance the fish could die during shipping

I hear ya. I have a 140g reef as well, shipping coral and fish has been a scare, but I have not lost anything yet. Plus, most places offer DoA garentees.

I cannot seem to find the we page selling them. Hmmm, I may need to do a ton more research!

I hear ya. I have a 140g reef as well, shipping coral and fish has been a scare, but I have not lost anything yet. Plus, most places offer DoA garentees. I cannot seem to find the we page selling them. Hmmm, I may need to do a ton more research!
No don't buy it. They are out competed for feeding by many other fish. I didn't think they were extinct in the wild? But I would only buy it if you were serious about breeding them. You would need a decent sized tank and a few females and a male. My advice would be no

No don't buy it. They are out competed for feeding by many other fish. I didn't think they were extinct in the wild? But I would only buy it if you were serious about breeding them. You would need a decent sized tank and a few females and a male. My advice would be no

Most breed them in 30 gal or less tanks... They only get like 4"...

I have 2 40b in my garage right now. I think they would be great for this.

Aquabid wants 1k for 6 of them. I want to try and purchase a breeding pair I think. Wonder if any breeders would be interested in working a deal.

If anything, I have a mail Adonis pleco, another one to try.

I have 2 40b in my garage right now. I think they would be great for this. Aquabid wants 1k for 6 of them. I want to try and purchase a breeding pair I think. Wonder if any breeders would be interested in working a deal. If anything, I have a mail Adonis pleco, another one to try.

I think if you had the space for Adonis plecos (which get massive) you would be sitting on a much bigger cash return than zebra plecos. It's already been done in Asia, but they use ponds.

I'm not sure if this qualifies for site promoting, but if you check MFK, there are a few breeders who might be willing to help you out with a pair. Those who sell them usually prefer to sell them in pairs to try to keep the species going.

I think if you had the space for Adonis plecos (which get massive) you would be sitting on a much bigger cash return than zebra plecos. It's already been done in Asia, but they use ponds. I'm not sure if this qualifies for site promoting, but if you check MFK, there are a few breeders who might be willing to help you out with a pair. Those who sell them usually prefer to sell them in pairs to try to keep the species going.

Thanks for the advice! A pair of Adonis plecos would be great. I had a gold nugget before my Adonis and traded him out. I love the Adonis! I will look into MFK, sounds like a unique experience!

Back
Top Bottom