Zebra Pleco

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
G

Well, I want to obtain a couple of Zebra Plecos, but no one around here has them. I see them listed on liveaquaria.com, but at $250 EACH. Are they rare, and is that a decent price on them?

They are very hard to get and likely to get more difficult to acquire in the future because Brazil has implemented importation quotas on them. $250 each seems a bit steep, however. One of my local stores has a couple of them in and they're asking $149 for them.

-Joe

I dont think I could pay $100 for a 3-4 inch fish, even though they are really pretty. It will spend most of its time hiding.

Yup.
That kind of number seems to be the order of the day (at least in C$) for Zebra plecs?
Are they all wild caught? Jeff

Cafe Jeff said:
Yup.
That kind of number seems to be the order of the day (at least in C$) for Zebra plecs?
Are they all wild caught? Jeff

Mostly these days, yes. There was a very prolific breeder in Edmonton a couple of years ago, but he pretty much lives in SA these days, and isn't running much in the way of tanks anymore.

The LFS around here has them for 150 each. I'd be willing to pay that much, except it's a dwarf species. If it got as large as a common pleco, then it would be worth it, but not when its only gonna grow an inch if I buy it.

Back
Top Bottom