zebra striped angel & his stripes

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ronnieroach

Aquarium Advice FINatic
howdy,

is there any way to get my zebra striped angel to show off his stripes more? he goes back & forth but the past few days he's been dullski

i'm gonna try some bloodworms & see if that helps by making him happy

i have to check the parameters but its a 20gal hex w/ him, 2 knight gobies, 2 emerald cories & my compressiceps who is under an inch, waiting to go into my 55. i also just added a flying fox i'm holding for a friend whos around 3inches

i know i'm overstocked but is it horrible horrible or tolerable until i can move the comp & fox?

ronnieroach said:
i have to check the parameters but its a 20gal hex w/ him, 2 knight gobies, 2 emerald cories & my compressiceps who is under an inch, waiting to go into my 55. i also just added a flying fox i'm holding for a friend whos around 3inches

i know i'm overstocked but is it horrible horrible or tolerable until i can move the comp & fox?

If you keep up the water changes its ok for now but you really need to sort out the stock issues ASAP. Test your water. Guessing something's off.

The knight gobies are going to pose a problem for that stocklist, as they are brackish water fish. 20 hex is really pushing it for an angelfish IMO- HN1 and I have kept adult angels that made a 75 look kinda small.

*edit* Be careful about holding fish for a friend in one of your display tanks. It would suck to bring in some disease and wipe out your stock. Sounds like your friend should read up on QT tanks. I apologize if this sounds mean, it's not supposed to, I promise. :)

doesnt sound mean at all.. i appreciate you guys helping :)

my buddy is gonna take his fox home tomorrow so i threw him in a heated bucket w a 10gal filter.. & neither of us have room for QT tanks or we'd have them lol

for the gobies, i was told they'd be fine in FW since the tank i got them from had almost no salinity at all & they had been there for months

the angel, i know they're supposed to have a minimum 30gal but i'm just gonna keep him til he's ready to go & rehome or trade him when the time comes

i do crazy pwc's so i assume my levels are right but i probably have an ammo spike or something cuz nonsense always happens in my community tanks

parameters are:
ph 7
ammo 0
nitrite 0
nitrate 10-20

so now that we know my levels are legit, anything extra i can do for his stripes?

and what is your take on the gobies weaned to FW??? i dig em but dont mind rehoming if i'm gonna wake up to them dead in a few months.. i've had them in FW for a month, plus how long they were in it at the lfs

THANKS!!!

The gobies need to be rehomed unless you can make a brackish tank for them. They can probably survive in FW but will thrive in BW. The cories need a school and the tank is too small. Even a standard 20g isn't suitable for them. The flying fox will be ok for a little while but not for long. How long are you looking after it? The angel NEEDS a bigger tank. 20g of any shape isn't suitable. Basically nothing you have in that tank is suitable for it sorry.

Mumma.of.two said:
The gobies need to be rehomed unless you can make a brackish tank for them. They can probably survive in FW but will thrive in BW. The cories need a school and the tank is too small. Even a standard 20g isn't suitable for them. The flying fox will be ok for a little while but not for long. How long are you looking after it? The angel NEEDS a bigger tank. 20g of any shape isn't suitable. Basically nothing you have in that tank is suitable for it sorry.

again, thanks for the help mumma :)

if the gobies are thriving in FW i'm gonna take the chance.. its easier than rehoming them plus they seem beyond great

i could see a school of cories being too big but just 2? i obviously dont know the science of stocking but even full grown i feel a 20hex would be ok for 2.. they also look amazing and love to play

the angel, however, i will concede needs to be rehomed & will be.. but not too quickly.. i really dig him :(

& the compressiceps, like i said, is an inch or less but i think i'm gonna toss him in my 55gal as i have TONS of hiding spots

thanks again!!

ronnieroach said:
again, thanks for the help mumma :)

if the gobies are thriving in FW i'm gonna take the chance.. its easier than rehoming them plus they seem beyond great

i could see a school of cories being too big but just 2? i obviously dont know the science of stocking but even full grown i feel a 20hex would be ok for 2.. they also look amazing and love to play

the angel, however, i will concede needs to be rehomed & will be.. but not too quickly.. i really dig him :(

& the compressiceps, like i said, is an inch or less but i think i'm gonna toss him in my 55gal as i have TONS of hiding spots

thanks again!!

Ultimately it's up to you. Your tank, your fish. But there are reasons for minimum tank sizes for different fish. Cories are schooling fish, like tetras, etc. they may seem fine but they may not act the way they should or live as long as they could. Schooling fish not kept in schools will never really feel comfortable and can suffer from stress and disease as a result. Most cories reach 2.5-3 inches in length. They live on the bottom of the tank. A 20g hex simply does not have enough floor space for them.

Keeping brackish fish in FW will shorten their lifespan. They are not adapted to live in fresh water long term. They may seem fine but they are not.

As I said. Your fish, your tank, do what you wish.

Mmm, I don't think a turtle would work in there but a small climbing lizard (that can utilize the whole tank climbing on branches) may work. Or you could sell the tank and buy one that will fit the fish you want.

there arent any turtles that will stay under 3-4 inches? its def wide enough to make an above water basking spot & deep enough for decent swimming.. would obv have to be a small turtle though

do you know of any cool climbing lizards? obv bearded dragons are out but i dont really dig those whack generic gecko things that much .. i'm picky, i know lol

Back
Top Bottom