Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-11-2019, 02:52 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular

Zero GH affecting cycle?

I have had my tank way longer than my girlfriend, heck, twice as long and I STILL get ammonia (slight, 0.25-0.5) readings, with zero nitrites and nitrates. All my water perimeters are good except how my GH is 0. Do bacteria need some GH to grow? And if so, how to I rise the GH?

Old 10-11-2019, 03:46 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Hello Jar...

If you're planning to keep fish from the local pet store, you don't need to worry about the water chemistry. Just follow a sound water changing routine. No water testing is needed. I just set up a new tank and put in the heater, sponge filter, gravel and some floating plants and let everything run for a few days. I added the fish I wanted and just fed them a little every day or two and removed and replaced one-third of the tank water every three days for a couple of weeks. Then, I added just a few more fish and started changing out half the water weekly. The tank's been running since the summer and the fish are doing great. I have some cool water tropicals and some Comets in the tank and everything is thriving in the pure water conditions.

B

Tags
cycle

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com