Zucchini and Cucumber

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DaleV87

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I have been giving my fish some for the last couple weeks. I have reduced the amount of food I feed due to the all day feeding and pecking at the cucumber.
Question is there a limit to how much of these I should feed as in like once a week or something?
I have watched every fish in my tank from my Cory cat to the electric blue Acara and pleco eat at it and they all love it.
I just want to make sure I'm not doing more harm then good.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

This has been up for a while and I bet you're kinda just waiting for something. I don't think zucchini is bad for them or anything because I have some algae wafers that have zucchini in it and they seem to like it more. Lol this might've not helped much but at least you know it's not nothing too harmful if they use it in algae based foods.

I don't think there's a limit but don't substitute zucchini and cucumber for a more well balanced pellet and a variety of foods. There is some debate as to whether the zucchini and cucumber give the appropriate nutrients, but just be sure you are blanching the little slices first.

It's not something I would give daily for fear that they are getting too full off that and then not accepting other more nutritious foods, but I'd say a couple of times a week wouldn't hurt.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

I do not blanch the vegetables. I just scrub the skin with a brush under water and then skewer a slice and put it in the bottom of the tank. I still feed my fish what I normally do but also keep a veg slice in that I change every 24 hours. The plecco really loves it and so don't the cories and the gourami. The rasboras not so much. The plecco also gets an algea wafer, the cories get shrimp pellets, and the rest get flake food every day. except on bloodworm or brine shrimp days. Their is also driftwwod in the tank for the plecco to chew on. Alison

I do cucumber once or twice a week. Really depends on how quickly it's eaten. I've never given it on a daily basis though. The old pelco I had loved it, I have not tried any though with the new community tank that I have.

I give cucumber or zucchini (blanched) every 3-4 days for my dojo loaches, but noticed that my mollies, rainbows and apisto all peck at it too. I feed NLS flakes, NLS pellets, freeze dried daphnia, shrimp pellets, algae wafers and frozen foods the rest of the time. This gives them a variety. I think that's important.

Thanks for the input. I have witnessed every fish in my tank pecking at it. The pleco sucked the skin right off of it and everything else wiped it out.
I was just curious if I could be feeding it too much. I give a couple chunks every 4 days or so.

Thanks for the input. I have witnessed every fish in my tank pecking at it. The pleco sucked the skin right off of it and everything else wiped it out.
I was just curious if I could be feeding it too much. I give a couple chunks every 4 days or so.

That should be fine. When I worked at Petsmart we gave Zucchini or Romaine to our Algae eating fish, daily to every other day in addition to Omega One Algae Wafer, Spirulina flakes, etc...

As long as you're feeding a good Variety of food, which it sounds like you are, it it should be fine.

Thanks. I feel better about it now.

Back
Top Bottom