Zucchini, not fresh, white mess

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fish_4_all

Aquarium Advice Addict
Well I have learned a lesson I hope. If you feed your pleco zucchini, remember this. Use a very fresh one because if there is any slime or even a slimy feel to it your water will look like it was hit with a flour bomb! I thought it was fresh enough, it happened before but I finally know why now, but it was a little slimy and my tank looks like the typical day here, cloudy!

Use them once and once they are cut, throw them away or eat them yourself. Is good I am only 1 day away from a PWC or I would have to do an extra 2 this week. Good thing is my female BN is finally looking gravid, if I can see her tomorrow. :roll:

holy crap, you say zucchini made your water cloudy, ive been going through a whole months worth of cloudy water, that everyone told me was a bacterial bloom, and ive been doing mass pwcs everyday

you think cucumber is doing this to my tank?

If any veggie is left in the tank for more than 24 hours it can cause cloudiness. The slime as fish-4-all mentioned clouds the water. Can't say I'd want to eat it myself after it had been in the tank though. :mrgreen:

Most store brought veggies are coated with a wax like substance to retard spoilage. This doesn't harm us or the fish but it not cleaned and rinsed, it can dislodge in the tank and cloud your water.

My veggies have never done that. I leave them in the tank for 24 hours and remove whatever is left (normally just the rind).

I keep mine stored in the freezer. Right now I have zucchini and spinach. Good thing about spinach is it defrosts very quickly and my Cherry Barbs love it.

Be sure to cut out the center of the zucchini/cucumber where the seeds are. The harder part tends to stay good a bit longer.

Back
Top Bottom