12-17-2011, 11:27 AM
Aquarium Advice Freak
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: 3350 Ulmerton Rd Suite 13, Clearwater, Fl 33762
Saltwater Crabs - The Saltwater Aquariums Best Friend!
are a blessing to all Marine and Reef Aquariums. Providing a service of cleaning up left over food, detritus and yuck, crabs are a must have to keep the ecobalance maintained in your saltwater tank.
- The Saltwater Horseshoe Crab is a bottom feeding scavenger. They like a deep, fine sandbed with a lot of open space to roam around in. They do get large over time- females can reach sizes of about 12 inches. Saltwater Horseshoe Crabs will dig through the sand in search of worms or other small creatures to eat. In the aquarium their diet may need to be supplemented with pieces of shrimp or squid as there might not be enough food in the aquarium otherwise. Right now they are only $2.99.
- The Saltwater Emerald Crab is a great addition to any aquarium and is reef safe. They eat bubble algae and are very easy to take care of. Ample food needs to be present for them though as they will clean all the bubble algea out of the aquarium. Supplementing seaweed or chopped meaty food will suffice for them. They are also scavengers and will clean out most organic debris from the aquarium. Priced right now = Buy 1 for $6.99 and Get 1 FREE
- Saltwater Sand Sifting Crab (Emerita talpoidea) are a reef-safe filter feeder that will help keep your aquariums sand bed clean and aerated. They do not have any claws, instead they have multiple digging appendages on their underside used to help them burrow into the sand. They also have feather-like antenna that are highly adapted to filter out micro organisms from the water. Small body without real claws. Can be kept in groups and are reef safe.
- Saltwater Arrow Crabs (Stenorhynchus seticornis) are fantastic saltwater scavengers which are highly sought after for their diet of Bristle Worms and Flat Worms. They are a hardy and long living crab that like to be on rocks and scavenges for food. Supplementing food for them is a good idea. Very enjoyable to watch as they move in odd ways. Only $8.99
- Saltwater Porcelain Crabs come in three different variations - Green, Blue and Red. Porcelain Crabs are a filter feeder and a reef safe crab that is great for beginners. Very bright and fun to watch. A great addition to any reef tank, these crabs have been known to take up residence in coral branches and do not harm them in any way. From $6.79 and up.
- Similar to the Porcelain Crab is the Saltwater Anemone Crab (Neopetrolisthes ohshimai) which likes to get into pairs under the shelter of an anemone and will try to fend off other creatures invading their space. They will eat microorganisms in the water column and mucus from the anemone with whom it has a symbiotic relationship. Only $9.89
Prices listed above are good through 12/22/2011, unless quantities are limited as displayed on site.
- Saltwater Sally Lightfoot Crab (Percnon gibbesi) is a scavenging crab that prefers to be in the rocks as it has a thin carpace and can maneuver into tight places to hide. They generally come out when there is food present. Diet may need to be supplemented with dried seaweed if there is not much to scavenge. Only $6.99