Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > Vendor Spotlight (Deals, Announcements & More)
Click Here to Login

Old 04-23-2012, 02:50 PM   #321
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Hi

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news on my first post but I am having major problems with this.

I have installed on an iPad 3 and iPhone 4s using iCloud. It is just unreliable when saving data. I make an entry and save it. Come out the app, go back in and it says successful iCloud sync and the data has gone.

I have followed your website instructions precisely and sure enough, I got my data synced on both iPad and iPhone 4s, but, when ever I update my data, it doesn't always save.

Latest example. I added a new water test on my ipad, added the first parameter (Ammonia), saved. Was performing other tests and the iPad screen went off as it does. Went back in, successful iCloud sync - water test not there! So i added it again and saved several times. Came out, back in and it was there. Then I added the next parameter, saved came out went back in to check - not there!! Often when I launch the app it just quits and when launched again the app starts from the beginning with the splash screen.

This app is exactly what I need but instead of being a joy to use it is becoming frustrating and I am finding it very unreliable.

Any idea what is going on?

Can you please add a dropbox sync as I find this far more reliable.

Old 04-23-2012, 04:40 PM   #322
Aquarium Advice Freak

It should be totalling specimens, by the way I am still doing new edits. iCloud is a little complicated specially making sure that the files are correct on the server etc. In the next revision if iCloud sees a conflict it will ask you to choose a version of the file based on day and time. After choosing the others will be erased.

zambono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 04:42 PM   #323
Aquarium Advice Freak

@gadget still trying to fix the issues with iCloud, letting the user choose what version of the file to use if iCloud finds a conflict. You should do a backup of the data using iTunes and if iCloud sync is not that important to you disable for the time being.
Old 04-27-2012, 12:55 PM   #324
Aquarium Advice Freak

new update coming, also involving iCloud syncing its pretty intricate for developers to get working that is why there aren't many apps using it. Now if it notices there are file version conflicts it will ask you to pick which file. It will immediately erase the others.
Old 04-28-2012, 11:41 PM   #325
Aquarium Advice Activist

is the app free?
Old 04-29-2012, 01:38 PM   #326
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Talking

I've been having the EXACT same problems. HOWEVER, I found a (temporary) fix. When ever I add something, (or a few somethings at once) I immediately hit the "setting" button and then tap where is lists the last update. It "forces" a sync and saves the data. (It's a pain in the *** though, so hopefully it stays temporary! But at least until you figure it out, it works.)

I really have to say, I'm loving this app. We just started our first fresh water planted tank and until we get everything situated, I needed something to track our progress. Nice job!

The only other thing I'd look for would be the ability to log onto a website and view/add/edit the information for when I'm home (it's a lot faster to type on the computer sometimes). Otherwise, I think it's pretty awesome.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gadgetmonster View Post
Hi

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news on my first post but I am having major problems with this.

I have installed on an iPad 3 and iPhone 4s using iCloud. It is just unreliable when saving data. I make an entry and save it. Come out the app, go back in and it says successful iCloud sync and the data has gone.

I have followed your website instructions precisely and sure enough, I got my data synced on both iPad and iPhone 4s, but, when ever I update my data, it doesn't always save.

Latest example. I added a new water test on my ipad, added the first parameter (Ammonia), saved. Was performing other tests and the iPad screen went off as it does. Went back in, successful iCloud sync - water test not there! So i added it again and saved several times. Came out, back in and it was there. Then I added the next parameter, saved came out went back in to check - not there!! Often when I launch the app it just quits and when launched again the app starts from the beginning with the splash screen.

This app is exactly what I need but instead of being a joy to use it is becoming frustrating and I am finding it very unreliable.

Any idea what is going on?

Can you please add a dropbox sync as I find this far more reliable.
Old 04-29-2012, 01:47 PM   #327
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Actually one more thing, When you add a new fish and Change it's name (like to "pinky" for example) then under it on the main list it says the scientific, not the common name. For most of us, we know these fish as common names, not scientific, so to see what a fish actually is we have to click it instead and open the main details page. Would be nice to have the common name under the given name instead of the scientific.
Old 04-29-2012, 07:20 PM   #328
Aquarium Advice Freak

Exclamation

Can someone please announce when this comes out for Android?

Thanks on advance....
Old 04-30-2012, 03:14 PM   #329
Aquarium Advice Freak

@Obscure, thanks for you input. I'll look into what you mentioned about settings, although that is odd since when you hit update you are just updating the inhabitants database, nothing to do with your own data. I'll look into it regardless. About the scientific, it has a lot to do with the app begin international. It sold throughout the world and obviously common names are even different among countries who speak the same language, thus the latin name.

@sanchez I can't spend the time developing aquaPlanner for android from scratch but I might start a kickstarter to fund having a third party develop it.

@gilley the app is not free there is a .99c lite version which displays adds and allows 1 aquarium, most people purchase the pro $2.99 version. multiple aquariums, no ads, and iCloud syncing. iCloud syncing is still a work in progress.
Old 04-30-2012, 03:24 PM   #330
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by zambono
@Obscure, thanks for you input. I'll look into what you mentioned about settings, although that is odd since when you hit update you are just updating the inhabitants database, nothing to do with your own data. I'll look into it regardless. About the scientific, it has a lot to do with the app begin international. It sold throughout the world and obviously common names are even different among countries who speak the same language, thus the latin name.
How about an option in settings to switch between scientific and common name for the list display section?

Love the updates, thanks very much for your hard work.

Tags
alert, app, ipad, iphone, maintenance