Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > Vendor Spotlight (Deals, Announcements & More)

Old 11-08-2010, 02:54 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

Ugly Tank Contest 3

The Contest:
It is time yet again to show us what some neglect and overfeeding can do. Got a well water reef? It is time for a full tank shot because the 3rd annual Ugly Tank Contest is open to contestants. We are looking for tanks that are ugly, just really, really ugly. Cyano plauging your coral? Nice! Hair algae covering your mag float? No wonder you can't find it! Please post pics!

The Rules:
Submissions must have a full tank shot (FTS). Only that picture will count towards the contest, but other supporting close up photos are appreciated.
You can reply to this thread to submit the photo.

Pictures must be submitted by November 15th.

We will be selecting the worst 5 tanks from those submitted. Each of these tanks will receive a $10 gift certificate. I personally will be choosing the finalists to narrow down the chance of popularity becoming an issue. Each of the finalists will then vote for the tank they think is the worst, but are not allowed to vote for their own tank.

Winner gets a free custom clean up crew shipped to clean the tank!

Plus! Each entrant gets a $5 gift certificate. You will have to send me an email or pm with the code you want to use. Just something simple will work, like "Hey John, I posted a photo in the ugly tank contest, I want my code to be "jmaloney" " Just make sure to put the code in quotes or on a separate line.

Show us how bad it can get! Be prepared for some good humored kidding, but please don't be embarrassed. If algae didn't happen I would be out of a job.

To Enter:

Simply post a picture here. We will combine with other pictures from around the net into our contest thread in our support forum:
ReefCleaners.org | Clean Up Crews and Macro Algae - Contests - Support Forum

Major Updates will be posted in this thread, so if you are a contestant you will want to subscribe to it.

johnmaloney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 08:21 AM   #2
AA Team Emeritus

Just to clarify the rules John, does this to be the present condition of tank, or can it be an old photo?

cmor1701d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 11:32 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak
This is my tank, it isn't like this now, but it was for a while...

th08tu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 12:28 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict
Is this limited to saltwater tanks or can freshies play too? You're strongly tempting me to "accidentally" leave my lights on my cycling tank.
BigJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 01:08 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak

it has to be present condition, because the CUC you win will be tailored to the tank. SW only for the contest, but FW can post for fun.
Old 11-08-2010, 01:34 PM   #6
AA Team Emeritus

Alright! A contest tailored just for me; how do I subscribe? I think it is just by posting isn't it? Photos forthcoming; computer just underwent a rebuild and don't have all the programs updated (like photobucket).
the Bog

"Listen to some of these guys talk, and it's like they were born from their momma's belly with a fishkeeping encyclopedia in one hand and an API kit in the other" (unrevealed).
Wy Renegade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 01:35 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Freak

lol...you have me in suspense now, where is my

newer rule clarification/confusion -
for $5 gift cert. purposes current or former tanks will do just fine, but to win the grand prize it has to be a current tank otherwise the prize isn't as much fun.
Old 11-09-2010, 02:57 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Activist
lol this is great.
becrac16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 03:23 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

Oh sweet. If I had only not cleaned the glass on one tank I maintain last night! It's still pretty gunky and lots of GHA. I will get a pic soon and post.

This one below doesn't count, but it's what one of the tanks I maintain looked like before I took it over (different tank than one mentioned above):

My tanks: 120 Reef w/L2 Algae Scrubber, 60 Reef Pond w/floating Algae Scrubber, 40 Breeder Reef w/L2 UAS Tester Algae Scrubber
I maintain: 144 SW Reef w/L2 Algae Scrubber | 200 SW Reef w/L4 Algae Scrubber
Special knowledge: Algae Scrubbers, Acrylic Fabrication
Floyd R Turbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 03:26 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Freak

thanks for posting! that is a pretty decent cyano outbreak

contest, tan