Am I getting a good deal?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rafecci

Aquarium Advice Activist
Friend is offering this system to me for $600. Will I be getting a good deal? It was a FW system, but I would like it use it for my new SW hobby. Thought you guys would now best.

46 gallon Bow front Tank
Wooden Oak Stand
36” Light Shade and bulb
Glass Lid
Ultra Violet Algae Light
Emporium Filter System
Gravel (45 lbs X .79)
Maxi Jet 600 Pump & Power head
Heater Freshwater Master Test Kit
Filters
Air Pump
Chemicals
Fish Food
3 Mesh Nets
18” Glass Scrubber Brush
Tubing & Reusable Filter Trap
Log Cliff
Log Cave
Log Stump
Grass & Plants
Breeding Net
Breed-N-Show Nursery
Floating fish Hatchery
5 Gallon Medic Tank

Not really. If your intention is saltwater, most of the items listed are of little or no use. It's a bit pricey even if you wanted a FW setup. There is a sticky for 'what i need to start a SW aquarium' or something like that. Compare that to your list and you'll see some gaps. Not to mention that if the bug takes hold you'll be buying lots of new SW stuff to replace the the "FW equipment I am using for my SW tank".

Just my O

IMO, you are not getting a deal at all. You can get a 75 gallon setup NEW for $200 less than what he wants for a USED 46. You won't want to use: gravel, food, nets, breeding supplies, chemicals, and most decorations. Look on Craigslist for a better deal. I'd pass on the tank. I just bought a 100 gallon tank, stand, heater, two strip lights, glass lids for $375 USED and I know I could have gotten a better deal if I would have waited awhile longer. The trouble is that I needed a large tank soon. If you don't NEED one ASAP I'd definitely shop around. I think he'd be very lucky to get $250 for that setup unless he sells to someone that doesn't shop around. Better deals are out there for sure.

I agree, I paid around $900 for a 125G tank and majestic stand.

Agree with the others. For SW, the only thing you'd probably use is the tank, stand, heater, and the MaxiJet. And those things you can buy for probably less than $600 new. And a 5g quarantine tank is a bit small in my opinion. 10g minimum.

From what Kurt says you'll actually use, here are the brand new prices.

46 gallon Bow front Tank [$300 acrylic at Petsmart]
Wooden Oak Stand [$103 black stand at Drs]
36” Light Shade and bulb [you'll probably replace this]
Maxi Jet 600 Pump & Power head [$12 at Drs]
Heater [$70 Titanium heater 2x 100w at Drs]
5 Gallon Medic Tank [can get a 10g for $10 at Petco]

Total: $495

Not a deal. There's too much junk you wouldn't even use.

To the OP...you are from Lansing, MI right? Do this and save yourself a ton of money. Go to Meijer and buy their 55 gallon stand $95 (they are good, I have one). Then go to Petco and get a 55 gallon tank. They have their "dollar per gallon sale" and a 55 goes for $75. Next, but versa tops at Petco or Petsmart $20. You are at $190 right now. The remaining things you need will be a heater (recommend 250W Visitherm Stealth), powerhead (?) should be $10, lights (the most costly component if you want corals...I'lllet others suggest models for you), and a filter. I'm not sure what youd want but you may need a sump tank too. You should safely be under $350 before lights though IMO. That should be a start to your aquarium.

yay for michigan! what part r u from, im in oakland county.
Battle Creek here

I think many like titanium heaters for SW, not sure if it makes a difference. Then depending if your doing sump, ect.. you mainly need powerheads/skimmer.

You can find deals on craigslist if you look around often and are patient.

agreed with the others...you still need better lights if your doing corals....protein skimmer....and better powerheads...those are really expensive...and plus if your really getting into SW you should get a drilled tank with an overflow and sump......

Back
Top Bottom