Change of Plans - Adoption?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SPARTAN VI

Aquarium Advice Regular
So I got suckered into purchasing two Tin Foil barbs little over a month ago for my 10 gallon. They haven't grown much over 1.5" yet, but browsing other LFS's, I can confirm that the advertised 6" adult size that Petsmart had on the display is a complete lie.

I initially had plans to get a bigger tank and set it up in the family room after we did a little renovation. Well, I just got into reefing too now, and my family wants to have the reef in the living area. That means there's no space for a large FW tank.

Anyway, I was wondering if there's anyone in southern California, 91789, that would be interested in adopting my young pair of Tin Foils named Cobalt and Zinc. I'll be sticking with my 10 gal FW tank as the larger investment is going to the nano reef.

My last resort would be to bring them back to Petsmart or another LFS.

And so you have an idea of how overstocked I am... I have 4 Tiger barbs and 3 Mickey Mouse platies sharing space with the Tin Foils.

Just saw your post...sorry if this is a late response...

Sizes listed at stores are average rather than the maximum potential size of an adult. Even if they did only get 6", a ten gallon tank is way too small for a 6 incher, no less two. The tiger barbs will eventually get too big for the ten as well and they only get 3".

Have you tried posting a thread on the trade and barter board on this forum?

Good luck.

Also keep an eye on the platies. Tiger's are well known fin nippers and normally are aggressive to other species in groups of less than about 6-8. While a 10 gallon is a bit cramped for them, its probably not horrible as long as you provide adequate hiding spaces for them to get away from each other. I personally have a couple in my 20 gallon and don't think a 10 would be inhumane, but they do like to pick at each other more than I would like (which would be moreso in a smaller tank probably).

As for the tinfoil barbs, I'd just take them back to the store you got them from. They are
one of those fish that I hate to see LFS and big-box stores selling (along with common pleco's and goldfish/koi). The VAST majority of people will never be able to properly care for them and specifically the tinfoil (like most/all barbs) are best kept in groups making their large size even more difficult to house in all but the most monstrous tanks.

HTH

TCTFish, I would but I don't have the minimum post requirement to post in those forums. D'oh! :x

I just recently renovated the tank. I removed the typical castle and ugly blue gravel and now using flourite and 5 flat stones to make a more natural aquascape. In doing so, they use all the nooks created by my aquascape to hide in.

I don't know if Platies are known jumpers, or perhaps it was my mistake, but in the process of draining my tank and removing the decor, I found a dried up platy on my carpet. :(

One Tinfoil, Cobalt we named him, is about 2" now, the other is still under 1.5" When they get a little bigger I'll see if I can sell them to my LFS rather than condemn them at Petsmart.

One of the tigers did initially nip at the platies, but now they're too busy with each other.

I got a tiny otocinclus last night to help with my algae problem. The Petsmart lady was telling me I should monitor my ammonia levels, apparently they poop a lot or let out a lot of NH3. I was inclined to ignore her, I don't see how this matters with a fully cycled tank. I haven't seen any traces of NH3 or NO2 in about a month.

Platies specifically aren't 'known' jumpers like tin foils, balas, arrowanas (those are your more olympian jumpers...lol), but all fish can attempt the sport of carpet surfing. My condolences on your loss.

IMO, anytime you do get new fish, even a tiny one, it is a good idea to check ammonia levels a few days after to make sure the bio has caught up with the increase in waste load. One oto though I highly doubt would put a dent into anybody's bio load (I probably would have laughed at her)...which BTW...otos are more effective in groups. One little guy can only eat so much.

Have you tried posting a thread on the trade and barter board on this forum?

I would but I don't have the minimum post requirement to post in those forums. D'oh!

Rules and Regulations said:
Hobbyest users of this site are provided a "Classifieds" and a "Barter and Trade" Forum to trade and sell animals, goods and equipment (non-commercial entities only). These forums are for members that contribute to this site, therefore, posting and/or replying in this forum requires a minimum of 50 posts in the general forums.

Take a look, you have the minimum now. This thread will be moved to the appropriate forum.

SPARTAN VI,

Oto's are not heavy on the bioload since they are so tiny, but for their size they do generate a good bit of waste. They are also pretty fragile fish when acclimating since they are shipped in pretty bad conditions (normally they are caught in the wild) and so need some algae or algae wafers pretty much immediately to give them a shot of living.

Back
Top Bottom