Computer Power Supply and 80mm fans for trade

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

William

Aquarium Advice Addict
I've got an old computer PSU, it'd work fine for a Aquarium Hood to power some fans

One of the two 3.3 volt leads [ the molex lines ] is dead, but the other line supplied more than enough power still to run my old system. So it should work great for a Aquarium hood.

I also have Several 80mm computer fans, I've got 4 in my hand right now, however I believe I have atleast 2 more burried in my computer box.

All of these would be of great use to anyone that wanted to build their own hood with exhaust fans and such.

Looking to trade for Plants, mostly Java Fern and Java Moss. However I'm open to anything, afterall.. How do I know I need it until its offered? :D

The only problem with your potential setup for a hood, is that a motherboard is required to provide power to the power supply. The only way around this is to mod the power supply so that it becomes a switched p/w. And that's only if the p/s has a switch on the back.

Derek

dahamaker said:
The only problem with your potential setup for a hood, is that a motherboard is required to provide power to the power supply. The only way around this is to mod the power supply so that it becomes a switched p/w. And that's only if the p/s has a switch on the back.

Derek

Actually no.

With a simple length of wire, or a paperclip even, stuck into place on the 12volt Motherboard lead, you can trigger the PSU to power up like normal.

All you do is bridge Pin 14, The green wire on the ATX connector, to any of the grounded pins [ The ones highlighted in black in the picture ], THe black wires.

This definately works, because thats how I tested the PSU to make sure it works. Of course, Anyone using this for an aquarium hood would most likely want to replace my paperclip with a small gauge insulated wire.

yes, and it becomes a rigged p/s that quite often looks like crap. It would be better to cut all the wires and solder the two required. That way the only thing that you need to do to turn on the p/s is flip the switch.

Its not like its going to be inside the tank and a showpiece.

and if someone wanted to do that thats up to them.

What do you have against me?

You seem against me for some reason..

not at all....actually you have a fabulous idea. But those people who are unfamiliar with PC power supplies should know that it's not just Plug and Chug. You can't just use any old power supply. As for the piece not being seen, that may be fine for some people. I was stating a fact on how it could be cleaned up to look nicer. I bet your aquarium stand doesn't look trashy just because nobody sees it. I was meerly trying to provide suggestions. Either way....you get a bump for your product :)

I'm not trying to be an ass. I appologize it it came off that way.

Derek

your discussions have helped me, i have an old comp laying around otherwise i might have been interested. thanks!

Back
Top Bottom