Wanted: Fish in Virginia?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I have ruby red, eureka red, and caroli peacocks, BN pleco's, endler's livebearers, and a couple proven pairs of Cryproheros cutteri. The peacocks need at least a 75 gallon tank, jakes don't play well with others in smaller tanks. The cutteri are fine in a 20 or larger, would recommend something to eat fry though or you'll have them coming out your ears.

They're a smaller CA cichlid, related to convicts but much easier to get along with in general. Males max out around 5", females smaller, closer to 4". Even a spawning pair with eggs or fry aren't any real threat to other fish; though they will protect their brood, they don't claim a large territory or go ballistic and kill anything. Also don't kill or maim each other when one isn't in the mood, females guard the eggs/fry while males protect their turf, though it's mainly the females that chase other fish away from their babies.
I have one pair in a 40 breeder with a Carapo knife fish, there are 2 nickel-size juvies growing out in that tank, the rest were eaten. I have 3 other pairs in a 90 with some SA cichlids and 6 P. typus catfish to eat the hundreds of fry they regularly produce. Less than a dozen out of probably a couple thousand fry have ducked and dodged long enough to grow big enough to be safe.
Very hardy fish, I had over 100 young adults grown out in a 55 a couple years ago. Basement tank w/out a heater, temp was below 70 over the winter. Didn't slow down their appetites or growth rate (rather fast) but it was too cool for them to pair off and spawn.
Last year I had an outbreak of some unknown disease in multiple tanks, and lost about 150 oblongums I'd been growing out for a year. Whatever it was killed the SA cichlids within a week or two, and along with whatever it was Ich also struck the weakened fish. I treated the tanks with salt for the Ich, but something else did the oblongums in. The fins on some looked like they were melting, some had cloudy eyes, only 7 survived and I have no clue how or why they did. The cutteri didn't seem to be affected, and even a brood of fry that were barely free-swimming all survived while the oblongums in the same tank died.
Not brightly colored fish, but they do show some colors depending on mood, background/substrate color, etc. Breeding dress is grey with stripes, when not showing that they're quite variable in appearance. Excellent parents, I left the adult pair in the 29 with their fry until the tank became too crowded. I've never seen them harm their own fry, and when a couple females spawn at the same time in the 90 the fry mix and mingle while the parents try to protect them all and argue over territory. Never so much as a split fin among them though, just bluff and chase, the intruder always backs down pretty quickly.

Back
Top Bottom