Wanted: Freshwater unbreeding snail

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

flavia21

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hi! I have a lot of algae I would like to reduce. Is anyone selling any snails that don't reproduce in freshwater that are good for eating algae?
Thanks!,

I haven't had an algae problem myself not a single spot since I got my tank last month but try reducing the amount of light and sunlight to the tank.

How big is your tank what's the stock?

You'll probably want to go with Nerite snails, they can mate, but their eggs wont hatch in freshwater, and I'm pretty sure they need one of each sex but not positive on that one. Mysteries could work as well, they need one of each sex to reproduce for sure but lay their egg clutches above the water line so they are easy to find and remove if you want them too.

I have a few blue and ivory mystery snails that got tossed in with the magenta's I bought recently, PM me if you are interested and we can work something out.

You'll probably want to go with Nerite snails, they can mate, but their eggs wont hatch in freshwater, and I'm pretty sure they need one of each sex but not positive on that one. Mysteries could work as well, they need one of each sex to reproduce for sure but lay their egg clutches above the water line so they are easy to find and remove if you want them too.

I have a few blue and ivory mystery snails that got tossed in with the magenta's I bought recently, PM me if you are interested and we can work something out.

+1 to Nerite, especially if you have an algae problem. They are algae eating machines! Only downfall to them is that, even though the cannot reproduce in freshwater, that doesn't stop them from laying little white eggs everywhere haha.

I have a few light purple mystery snail babies right now. They are very small right now. Could sell you 4 for $1 plus $5.15 shipping. If you do not want eggs everywhere they are great. When they lay eggs, they do so above the water line. Just take something and lift them off the glass and throw away. Or raise them in a separate container. That is what I am doing. Photo of light purple snail is mother. Dark purple is father. Babies are half cream and half darker right now. Will probably look like mother.

Attachments

• babysnails2.jpg
    babysnails2.jpg
    255.2 KB · Views: 62
  • mommasnail.jpg
    mommasnail.jpg
    145.3 KB · Views: 56
  • smallsnail.jpg
    smallsnail.jpg
    212.8 KB · Views: 61
I haven't had an algae problem myself not a single spot since I got my tank last month but try reducing the amount of light and sunlight to the tank.

How big is your tank what's the stock?

I have a 15gal tank and have 2 neon tetras, 2 guppies, a Platy, a zebra snail and a 6 grown fry about an inch long.
I usually have the light on 6/8 hours a day

Go with nerite as mentioned earlier, do a better job on algae than mystery snails (and i breed mystery snails) and cant reproduce in freshwter as stated. Plus some look pretty darn cool!

Go with nerite as mentioned earlier, do a better job on algae than mystery snails (and i breed mystery snails) and cant reproduce in freshwter as stated. Plus some look pretty darn cool!

I have one but can't find any at the petco or petsmart around my area. Wish someone was selling them

They have olive nerites at my LFS. If you are really desperate i could buy from them and ship to you. Would be expensive but i would not need to profit off it. Strictly cost plus shipping. Let me know via PM if you want to go that route. Always willing to help out a fellow fishlover!

Msjinkzd.com sells nerites for $2 a piece. Haven't bought from her myself, but other people on this forum have had good things to say about her.

Back
Top Bottom