FS: Modded Aquaclear 70 hang on refugium

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

severum mama

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hey all you salties! After a tank teardown yesterday, I no longer need my Aquaclear 70 hang on refugium. I made this myself a couple months ago from a new Aquaclear 70, following some plans I found online, and it's been working great! If you're running a sumpless tank, the hang on refugium is a great way to help with nitrate reduction/improved water quality (using macro algae), and is also really helpful for giving 'pods an area to breed where fish can't get to them. Plus, you get the added benefit of a little extra flow and surface agitation.

Here are a couple of pics.

These pics show the mods that I did to the Aquaclear. The grid on the outflow keeps your macro algae from spilling out into your tank. The acrylic baffle on the left side keeps your macro algae and/or live rock rubble away from the impeller housing.
100_0749.JPG

100_0751.JPG

Here is the refugium in operation on my tank. Sorry, but the live rock rubble is being used in another tank and is not included.
100_0757.JPG

I am asking $45 shipped to continental US only (a new Aquaclear costs more than that). I'll even throw in a free ball of chaeto to get you started. If you are under 18, you'll need your parents' permission to buy. I accept Paypal. If you have any questions about the fuge, I'm more than happy to help. Thanks for looking! :D

Last edited:
Is this HOB fuge still for sale?

Hi,
I have been researching how to build a refugium out of an AC70, but I would have to buy the filter new. I figured it would be much easier to just buy it from you if you are still selling it :D. If you would prefer to just email me directly @ jdye2@mix.wvu.edu that would be the quickest way to get ahold of me.
Thank you!
Josh

Back
Top Bottom