Got duckweed?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DragonFish71

Great white snark
Well I do!

The duckweed is growing so well in our 80 brackish that we've been giving it away and all our friends are well stocked.

I have at least 2 ziplock snack sized bags worth (for now, more in probably 2 weeks) that are looking for a good home. All you pay is shipping, which will be a small priority mail box, $4.95.

If the weather is crappy in your area or mine when I'm ready to ship, I will wait until the weather clears.

A few facts about duckweed:

It is a fast growing, invasive plant. Be sure this is something you want before PMing me.

It can help control algae growth (yes the dreaded algae!)

It works great for fry tanks.

It makes a great light filter (if you like the shadow-y look)

Some fish, like african cichlids, otos, plecos etc love to nibble it.

It makes a good "jump" deterrent. Fish see it floating across the top and think it's a solid cover, hence lack of suicides by jumping.

Do you use CO2? I think I have decided that if the tank I get the plants from used CO2, and I don't, the plants are going to die when I use them.

It doesnt need co2, doesnt matter where it came from or really what kind of lighting or any other thing. If the room is lit, and you at least change the water, likelyhood is it will grow. Ive swapped it from one tank to the next and there is no difference in its ability to grow, just slows down a bit. Goldfish love to eat it, thats where all my excess goes. They feast at least twice a week.

do you have a lot of surface agitation? it does best with more still water.

Yes, in one tank. But I had some on my betta tanks, and those didn't make it, and they have VERY little agitation. They seem to be trying to come back, but are brown around the edges of the original leaves. I do have some little ones coming in though, just takes forever.
I planted some bulbs in my big tank, and they are taking off really well! That is why I was wondering about the CO2.

All right folks. I still have at least one more snack sized zip lock bag full of duckweed, free to a good home except for shipping.

Anyone?

Come on now, you know you want to serve it for Christmas dinner as a salad since we know it's edible! *lol*

Back
Top Bottom