Looking for stem plants

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

happygirl65

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hi guys! I am looking for some stem plants for my discus tank.

Any hygro
Also any stem plant with color that is not too delicate (walichi seemed to melt away)
Would love some Rotala magenta, and could use more rotala indica

I have good light and ferts, Co2 etc.

I am happy to buy them and have always had good luck with people on this board.

pm me if you have anthying available. :)

Thanks in advance!

If you found that Rotala wallichii was too delicate, then you're not likely to have much better luck with Rotala magenta. Also while there is a Rotala indica, you're probably actually looking for Rotala rotundifolia. Rotala rotundifolia is often mislabeled as Rotala indica at the LFS and many online stores. The true Rotala indica was formerly known as Ammania sp 'Bonsai' and is a much more difficult plant (I've killed it both times I've had it, and want to try it again!).

The nice thing about Rotala rotundifolia, is that it comes in several color varients. There the standard form, Rotala rotundifolia 'green', Rotala rotundifolia 'pink', and Rotala rotundifolia 'colorata'. I'd recommend that you give Rotala rotundifolia 'colorata' if you're looking for some more color as it turns some beautiful shades of red, pink, and yellow (not 100% on the yellow) especially when it get closer to the light.

It figures that the one I really would like to try is difficult...lol.

I think you are right. on aquarium plants.com they called it indica with rotundifolia in parentesis so I am sure that is what I have though I didn't get it from there... :) I have a pink variety I think. It is green at the bottom but the tops are pink. I really like the small leaves I just need more of them. :)

Hopefuly someone will have some stems for me. :) I kind of let things go a while during the busy hctic summer, not on water changes, but just with trimming etc and I would like to get some more stems in there. The fish seem to eat my standard hygro...so far they leave the rotala alone so I supose I should just stick with that one. :)

I am getting some rotala rotundifolia from www.aquariumplants.com today. I also have/will have upon arrival:

java moss
ludwigia repens
heteranthera zosterfolia
purple cabomba
anacharis (egeria densa)
banana plants
dwarf baby tears
swords? (may have some available if they are in good condition)
dwarf chain sword/dwarf sag (not sure which but LOTS of it)

It may be two weeks or so before I have enough available though.

I should have some stuff for you in a week or two as well. I just did a trim so things have to grow out a little but I can send you some Giant hygro, sunset hygro, Limnophila aromatica, asian ambulia and Rotala rotundifolia ("regular" and some colorata as well).

Send me a PM in a week or so to remind me and I'll see what I have.

Back
Top Bottom