Wanted: Male black phantom tetra

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mc96928

Aquarium Advice Activist
Does anyone know someone who is selling some male phantom tetras? Or even a good place i could purchase some?

Why do you need males? Im sure if you got a group of 12 or so you would get males and females.

I currently have 4 females. Id like maybe 2 or 3 males. And possibly a few more females

You trying to breed them? I don't know how to sex tetras but are all 4 for sure females? Also how big is the tank?

They'll be in a 20 gallon, by themselves once the goldfish are moved. They should get a 30 or 40 gallon in the coming months

Sexing tetras is actually very easy. The females have a red color on their fins. While the males are basically all black all over.

Ok cool. As long as they are by themselves I think another 5-10 of them would be fine in a 20L. Do you have any intention of breeding them?

I was thinking about it actually. I thought it would be interesting to try out breeding.

Yeah I've never done it but you should probably get another tank before you get serious. They might breed but those eggs won't last long unless you get the fish out of there

I have 4 other tanks lol. I can move things around if i had too

Oh cool. Yeah I've never kept or bred tetras, but im pretty sure you can make a temp change, lower the water. Something like that. Look it up online. After you do that wait for how ever long your research tells you, and then take the adults out as they have bred and will eat the eggs if left in there. Again, I don't really know much about them so do your research.

Back
Top Bottom