Wanted: Nerite Snails

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ryan87500

Aquarium Advice Freak
I am looking for a clean-up crew for my tank. I heard Nerite are some of the best snails to use. Wanted to see if anyone here sells them. I have about 40 gallons so thinking I need 6-8.

I am in the Chicagoland area but willing to pay for shipping.

Ryan

I love my nerite snail except it lays eggs everywhere and it's hard to get them off things. Just one helps keep my 29 gallon clean. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Does the cleaning out weigh the mess from the eggs?

They aren't easy to breed since the eggs require saltwater, so you might not have much luck unless someone has some that they want to get rid of. They aren't expensive. Have you tried asking your LFS to order some? That's how I got mine.

And yes, they are awesome at keeping the glass clean. Much better than the often hailed Otocinclus, IME. The back wall of my 29 was completely coated in green algae and 3 Nerites had it clean in about 9 days.

Thanks will have to try my LFS. They claim they have some Siamese algae eaters as well so maybe get two of those instead so they can take care of some of my black algae

I think flourish caused my problem I had no issues while cycling with plants now I have fish and added flourish and hit with all sorts of algae so need to try and discontinue the flourish.

Back
Top Bottom