For Sale: Water Sprite (Ceratopteris thalictroides)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

daileene

Planted Tank Addict
Water Sprite (Ceratopteris thalictroides)

Information

Common Name: Water Sprite
Proper Name: Ceratopteris thalictroides
Category: Stem Plants
Temperature:20 - 30 C
PH:5.0 - 8.0
Lighting: Low
Growth Rate: Very Fast
Difficulty: Easy
Origin: Asia Tropics
Position in Aquascape: Floating

QUICK STATS
Care Level:*Easy
Lighting:*Moderate
Placement:*Mid-ground
Water Conditions:*68-82° F, KH 3-8, pH 5.5-6.5
Propagation:*Adventitious Plants
Max. Size:*1'
Color Form:*Green
Supplements:*High Quality Aquarium Fertilizer
Origin:*Farm Raised, USA
Family:*Pteridaceae

Overview
The Water Sprite, also known as the Indian Fern, is a great plant to use as a mid-ground plant and also as a floating plant. The delicate, lacy leaves also make great cover for fry to hide among. Due to its poor root system, the Water Sprite retrieves nutrients from the water.*The Water Sprite will grow profusely under the correct conditions, and for this reason, is excellent at removing unwanted and unhealthy inorganic nutrients from the aquarium water. In smaller aquariums with open tops, the Water Sprite can grow out of the tank and form beautiful surface leaves. The delicately branched leaves are very decorative and provide good contrast to other leaf shapes.*The Water Sprite makes a great starter plant for the aquarist new to plant keeping. Propagation is by adventitious plants from the tips of the leaves. Because of this, they are extremely easy to reproduce.*The Water Sprite is a favorite snack for many species of snails. To protect the plant and to control snail populations, consider adding snail eating loaches, such as clown loaches to the aquarium.*

Approximate Shipping Size: Floated. 5" to 8" (1 big rooted plant + baby offshoot stems) Please note that you might be getting some duckweeds and salvinia minima together with the shipment.

When grown emersed it will becomes sturdy with thicker stems and leaves. Growing submerged it adapt and turn into limp and softer plant. Water Sprite can be kept planted or left floating. Propagate by sending out axial shoots, forming tiny plantlets which eventually develop roots and floats away. Some sudden stress will encourage the plant propagate vigorously. Very fast growth both planted and floating. One of the easiest plants I've ever had. In terms of growth, many people--including the plant detail above--consider this plant "easy." I think that only partially true. Oddly enough, it will grow and flourish just fine in one of my smaller tanks, with a lot of natural light, but very little artificial source. Conversely, in my planted tank, with fertilizer dosing, high light output, etc, it ultimately rots away. I would more accurately describes is overall difficulty as "moderate," considering that under ideal conditions it dissipates and under less controlled conditions, it flourishes.*

I have like one big rooted water wisteria and will come with baby offshoot and duckweeds and salvinia minima. Asking for $5 for it plus $6 for priority shipping..please PM for PayPal address to send payment. Thanks.

Sent from my N800 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Attachments

• 1414550693824.jpg
    1414550693824.jpg
    59.9 KB · Views: 60
  • 1414550713131.jpg
    1414550713131.jpg
    79.7 KB · Views: 57
  • 1414550724699.jpg
    1414550724699.jpg
    37.9 KB · Views: 59
Last edited: