Wtb nikon d40

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

NeoCatsy

Aquarium Advice Activist
I am looking at upgrading from a point and shot camera to one that actually I can take decent pics with. I am looking at the Nikon D40. Any reviews?

I'm gonna need a little more than that. Thanks though

canon makes a way better camera than nikon... look at something like an eos rebel... my parents are proffessional photographers (no jokes about my horrible pictures please) and like the rebels way better than any other cameras they have, even their mamiya medium format that cost them $7000!

more so than the cameras themselves, canon makes much better lenses, and most of the time, that is much more important than the body.

if youre looking for something on the low end, look at a canon xsi.
something a little higher up, id go with a 20D. the 20D is a great camera for the money. i have 3 of them personally. i use them more than my 5D and my markII (1D).

if youre looking for something a bit older, you can gt an xti for pretty cheap (maybe like $400)

The thing about Nikon and Canon is that the Image Stabilization is in the lens. Everytime you buy a lens you pay for it. With Olympus its in the camera not in the lens. Like me I have about 5 lenses for E500 and my E510IR. I am glad I didn't have to pay for the IS 5 times.

Within the first year you will have to send the Nikon back to have the sensor cleaned if you change lenses. I have had both of my olymus for 3 years and have not had to clean the sensor yet. Olympus has the only Dust Redusction system that actually works. If you go on camera sites you will see cleaning kits made by Nikon and Canon. You will not see them for Olympus its not needed, they don't have a problem with it.

if you "have to" take your sensor in to be cleaned, it has absolutely nothing to do with the camera. that means the user was not careful when switching lenses and storing.

olympus is not even on the same level as canon or nikon. no self respecting professional photographer uses an olympus.
next time theres a football game on, watch the sidelines. (super bowls coming up soon). you will see a ton of long white lenses on the sideline. all Canon L glass.

but what do i know. i only get payed for my pictures. ;)

actually you are correct you don't see Olympus on the sideline at football games. However you do see photographers from National Geographic using Olympus when the conditions get rough so they don't have to send there Canon or Nikon off to get the sensor cleaned and if you look up the stats the kit lenses for olympus out perform Nikon and Canon. The differnce is... the reason you don't see Nikon nor Olympus is cause the NFL will not let them use anything but Canon since the NFL sponsers Canon. O and by the way I am a pro photographer. I do sell photo's, I do have stuff in Art Galleries, I do have shows coming up. What sold me on Olympus was a National Geographic photographer reuined his Nikon 15min into his shoot when he changed lenses. The only camera he could find in Africa at the store he went to was an Olympus. After he was done he sold all of his Nikon gear and bought The Olympus E1 and the lenses. He still uses Olympus today. He now uses a E3.

"The Olympus E-620 digital SLR has been recognized as the leader of its respective camera category at the annual TIPA awards for products and technologies in the field of photography. This year, the Four Thirds-based E-620 won the prestigious award for “Best D-SLR” of the year. TIPA is comprised of members from 29 independent publications based in 13 countries around the world."

"Olympus Zuiko Digital 50mm F2.0 Macro Lens: The greatest strength of the Four Thirds system undoubtedly lies in the optics, and the 50mm F2.0 macro ranks alongside the likes of the Zuiko Digital ED 12-60mm F2.8-4.0 SWD as one of the finest lenses of its type currently available from any manufacturer. With its relatively fast maximum aperture, it also offers Four Thirds users the opportunity to use true selective focus effects. Quite simply, every E-system user should own one."

"Digital Photography Review says of the 12-60mm: "Indeed the Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 12-60mm F2.8-4.0 SWD is quite simply a superb lens, which can lay claim to being one of the very best standard zooms currently available."

This comment is represented by the Highly Recommended Logo - setting the ED 12-60mm SWD lens out from the rest of the pack of standard zoom lenses available today."

"Olympus digital SLRs have one main advantage over both Canon and Nikon DSLRs: many of them have built-in image stabilization that works with all compatible 4/3rds lenses.

Canon and Nikon both have stabilization, but only include it in a select number of specialized lenses.

If you take a lot of photos where stabilization can help improve image quality, then an Olympus DSLR might be a better choice.

The E-30 also has an LCD screen that flips out from the camera body and rotates for high and low angle shots - while such an LCD is included with the new Nikon D5000 no Canon DSLR has this feature.

Finally, Olympus was the first company to add a dust control system to their digital SLRs, and - based upon some tests that I have seen - the Olympus dust control seems to work better than others."

when someone asks advice about a good american muscle car, you dont suggest a geo metro or a 92 for taurus :rolleyes:

Nope, and you will soon find out. Trust me. I would actually suggest the one I used to have a 1971 Mach 1 factory 429.

find out what? that canon/nikon are used 10000/1 over olympus by professional photographers worldwide?
bahahahahahahhahaha

one day you will learn son. but if you are happy with your olympus point and shoot, more power to you. thats really what it comes down to ;)

I am very happy with both of my Olympus DSLR's. If you look at the pro photographers that use canon and Nikon they have multiple cameras around there necks to keep from having to send one off to get cleaned. You asked an opinion I said to look at the Olympus E3 and the E-620. I tried to give you some advice. If you lenses often as I do, just send me an email when you have to mail it off to get cleaned. I tried to help

wow, you really have much to learn my friend.
multiple bodies are uses mainly to streamline workflow. also, any self respecting professional will take multiple bodies to a gig as a back up. when your client has already payed for your gig, you cant just say "sorry, something happened to my camera, and now i cant shoot your wedding".
Not having to change lenses is just an added bonus.
regardless of what camera you use, as a professional, you should have a backup.

i have some DSLRs that i have been using religiously for years and never had to take it in for a sensor cleaning.
i also have some that needed to be cleaned a few times because of the conditions of the gig.
in the end, a dirty sensor is user error, and has nothing to do with the manufacturer. (not to mention, canon has incorporated self cleaning sensors since the xti was introduced many years ago)

your generalizations about "anything besides olympus" are unfounded and boarderline ridiculous. there are only a handful of pros that use olympus, verses *probably millions who use canon/nikon, and now even the new sony "a" series (but that fad will die off soon)

there is really no point in further explaining to you, what you refuse or are unable to comprehend. the data is out there. in fact, go on any photo site, and see how many pros are using canon/nikon vs olympus. it really speaks for itself.

btw: i did not ask for your opinion. in the midst of you trying to prove an invalid point, you failed to realize, im not even the OP.

pure genius.

-done

my roomate is a weeding photographer and only takes his Olympus cause it never lets him down. you said your self you have had to send off to be cleaned. I my friend have not. One of the big reasons I chose Olympus over Nikon which I was going to do, was price and sensitivity to IR. I can't get this shot with Nikon nor Canon. They are not as sensitive to IR

602662937_BXmEC-L.jpg

NeoCatsy, If you're still interested, I'd swear someone on here was selling a Nikon D60... oh yeah. Here: http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f25/nikon-d60-18-55-vr-kit-dc-area-121511.html

The two cameras (D40, D60) are comparable, and if that one listed above is still out there you might get a good price. As for the religious wars about which brand of camera body, etc. leave me out, but I do own several film and digital Nikons, so I've cast my vote already. The big money is better spent in good glass anyway, and both major brands have it.

Back
Top Bottom