WTB / WTT for dry ferts

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

evercl92

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I need:

Plantex CSM+B - 2lbs
KNO3 - 2lbs
K2SO4 - 2-4lbs

I have plants to trade: java fern (10+ in tall), java fern 'lace', java fern 'narrow-leaf', ludwigia repens, hygrophila 'narrow leaf', bolbitis, (not much, but some) ammania gracilis, onion plants

Malaysian driftwood - small / medium sized, I can get pics if means a possible trade

Otherwise, PM me with what you have and what you want for it (plants, driftwood, cash).

I know Rex Grigg sells it on his site, but I'm not in desperate need (yet), and if someone had extra that they weren't going to use....

If I could get a fair amount from one or two people, obviously that would be the best option.

I don't have anything for you but I do have a quick question about the KNO3 and the K2SO4.

Do plants use sulfate ion? I know they use potassium and I am pretty certain that they use nitrate, but didn't know they needed sulfate!?

K, N and P are your macro nutrients. They are the ones that are needed in the highest quantities. Nitrate is their source of N, for an established tank that doesn't have ammonia or nitrite (plants prefer to use these before using nitrate). S is needed, but not nearly as much.

So if they don't really need sulfur, you don't have much reason to dose K2SO4 right? The plants will get the potassium and the nitrate from the KNO3. Sure twice as much potassium will be provided by the K2SO4 vs. the KNO3 in a mol : mol ratio but can't excess sulfate be toxic to fish?

You still need K2SO4. Plants need more K than N and P, and I don't always want to dose nitrate when I dose K. I test my water, and add nitrate to get a target level of 20-25ppm. If my nitrate is already there, I'm not going to add KNO3, just so I can dose K.

I've not read any articles indicating excess SO4 being harmful to fish - they must sell it that way for a reason... ?

Back
Top Bottom