10 gallon ideas

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tetra123

Aquarium Advice Regular
I wanted this to be a qt tank just in case my fish get sick, but now Im tempted to make it a planted tank with snails (they do not survive in my 55) and shrimp. Can a qt tank be planted and have decor?

Tetra123 said:
I wanted this to be a qt tank just in case my fish get sick, but now Im tempted to make it a planted tank with snails (they do not survive in my 55) and shrimp. Can a qt tank be planted and have decor?

Yes a QT tank can be planted and have decor. Some people don't run their QT 24/7 and just let it sit but since you have plants I would run it just saying. Plants would be good for the tank getting rid of nitrites and ammonia (I think nitrites and not nitrates) you can have snails in it I think if it is a QT still.

Great. When I do put sick fish in do I have to take the snails out and will the medicine hurt the plants?

Tetra123 said:
Great. When I do put sick fish in do I have to take the snails out and will the medicine hurt the plants?

You still have to cycle the tank and all. The medicine wont hurt the plants because I put meds in my reg. planted tank and it doesn't hurt anything. As long as the snail won't hurt the fish ( I doubt it) then you will have to take it out but 99.9% you won't take out the snails.

Mumma.of.two said:
If its a QT leave it empty. IMO QT should have a bare bottom and no live plants. This allows for any type of medication to be used and ease of cleaning.

Sorry if I got wrong info :/ just listen to mumma!

Mumma.of.two said:
If its a QT leave it empty. IMO QT should have a bare bottom and no live plants. This allows for any type of medication to be used and ease of cleaning.

+1
If you can't take it out and sanitize it with bleach after treating for a particularly nasty bug then you don't want it in the QT. No substrate either as you can keep the tank cleaner without it and, again, if you end up treating for a nasty bug then you will probably end up throwing it all away. Live plants will be stressed by salt and a lot of meds so they will probably die. A cave, or the like, that the fish can relax in and a couple of fake plants for security is the most you should have in it.

Back
Top Bottom