2.3g Longggg - Shrimp Tank Build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mumma.of.two

Aquarium Advice Obsessed
As some of you know I won a 5 bay betta barracks and promptly pulled the dividers out to make one tank.

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f23/just-won-5-bay-betta-tank-268130.html

I've finally decided what I am going to do with it. Thanks to my hoarding I already had a light and a way to heat the tank. The plan is to go filterless but that could change. I am incredibly broke at the moment and am suffering horribly from the flu (and laziness) so the build will be slow.

What I've got so far:
Tank - 2.3g (10.8L) 60x15x12cm
Light - 18w t8 (too much light but the bulb is old)
Heating - reptile heating cord
Hardscape - wood (eucalyptus) from a previous tank
Substrate - PFS and probably some organic potting soil

Most plants will need to be bought.
So far I'm thinking:
Small anubias (already have)
Moss - either flame or peacock or both
Hairgrass
Pearl grass (already have)
Riccia (maybe)
Chain sword (I have some but I'm not sure I want to take any from my other tank)
Random crypts

image-616751515.jpg

Last edited:
Whatever you do. Its gonna look awesome. I would throw some neon tetras in there and put some short plants. Maybe something that will carpet the bottom! Whats the name of that tank? I wanna get one

Whatever you do. Its gonna look awesome. I would throw some neon tetras in there and put some short plants. Maybe something that will carpet the bottom! Whats the name of that tank? I wanna get one

Thanks :) It's a bit small for neons but I might be able to get away with a few small rasbora in the future. I'm thinking of attempting riccia stones to use as a carpet of sorts. The tanks called 'fighter panorama' by aquatopia.

First problem! I'm having trouble getting the very last bit of silicone off the glass. I've used multiple new blades and their is still a very tiny amount on the glass. It's noticeable with the tank filled. I've got it soaking in warm water to try and loosen it. Any ideas?

Thanks :) It's a bit small for neons but I might be able to get away with a few small rasbora in the future. I'm thinking of attempting riccia stones to use as a carpet of sorts. The tanks called 'fighter panorama' by aquatopia.

First problem! I'm having trouble getting the very last bit of silicone off the glass. I've used multiple new blades and their is still a very tiny amount on the glass. It's noticeable with the tank filled. I've got it soaking in warm water to try and loosen it. Any ideas?

Only thing to do is scrape away. Is it glass or acrylic?

Totally unrelated but I googled it and this came up (see pic) but 80 usd for that tank! No way. Ill just buy that 40b my eye is on!

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20130707_192645.jpg
    ForumRunner_20130707_192645.jpg
    50.7 KB · Views: 247
It's glass. It seems like I can't get the razor close enough. I've used 3 different new blades to no avail.

Have you tried getting a glass scraper from the auto parts store? They angle so its a bit easier to remove. I wouldnt use chemicals as they could permanently harm the tank. Maybe stick a lighter to it to burn it off?

Totally unrelated but I googled it and this came up (see pic) but 80 usd for that tank! No way. Ill just buy that 40b my eye is on!
My thread! Lol
Yep $80 here too! I would never buy it.

Have you tried getting a glass scraper from the auto parts store? They angle so its a bit easier to remove. I wouldnt use chemicals as they could permanently harm the tank. Maybe stick a lighter to it to burn it off?

The soaking softened it a bit. Got most of it off. Been using craft blades brand new from the packet. I don't think it will be visible when filled now. Burning/melting might work if it comes to that.

My thread! Lol
Yep $80 here too! I would never buy it.

The soaking softened it a bit. Got most of it off. Been using craft blades brand new from the packet. I don't think it will be visible when filled now. Burning/melting might work if it comes to that.

I thought it was funny. I want a long small tank but I dono where to look. Maybe ill look. Burning should work if its still there. If you do that then dont rapidly cool it because that could shatter it

I thought it was funny. I want a long small tank but I dono where to look. Maybe ill look. Burning should work if its still there. If you do that then dont rapidly cool it because that could shatter it

Maybe you could make one from acrylic?

I think I've gotten enough of it off so I can avoid attempting to burn my house down :/

image-3579384473.jpg

Looks ok. (Btw excuse the horribly outdated kitchen!)

You havent seen outdated! The house I live in was made in 1928?!?! Kitchen or anything never remodeled

Mine is PINK! Pink cabinets and beige countertops and tiles.

image-2555031743.jpg

Wood is soaking. Rocks are only until its waterlogged. Shouldn't take long. I've used this wood in 2 other tanks before.

Mine is PINK! Pink cabinets and beige countertops and tiles.

Wood is soaking. Rocks are only until its waterlogged. Shouldn't take long. I've used this wood in 2 other tanks before.

Be careful with that log soaking. It will expand and could possibly bust your tank. Keep a good eye on it!

That's a sweet nano tank I bet it will look great.

Thanks!

Be careful with that log soaking. It will expand and could possibly bust your tank. Keep a good eye on it!

Thanks for the concern. :) They aren't the full width of the tank and I pre soaked them for a few hours in hot water in a bucket. Should be fine.

Just got back from the LFS and the owner is going to an auction on the 27th and is going to try track down some plants for me.
Stream Bogmoss (Mayaca fluviatilis)
Blyxa japonica
Dwarf Hairgrass (Elocharis acicularis)
Downoi (Pogostemon helferi)
Crystalwort (Riccia fluitans)
Peacock moss

Should be a lot cheaper than eBay, online stores or ordering them in and I don't mind the wait :)

Found the rest of the light fixture. It's ugly and big but it does the job. Would love a nice sleek LED one though.

image-1248758731.jpg

Last edited:
You couldn't have come up with a better piece of wood if you custom grew it! lol That looks so beautiful.

Hope you get to feeling better. :flowers:

Playing with my fish and shrimp and tanks always helps me feel better, even when I am ill.

This is an interesting shape tank, and too sad it was for FIVE Bettas!

Check on the Rasbora Axelrodi blue neon (my recent favorite), the Boraras Brigittae Chilis would be small enough too, they are so tiny and cute. I have to feed them crushed pellets as my original ones, several I think starved due to not being able to really eat the Hikari Micro Bites I fed them. I don't care for flakes as a regular diet, otherwise that probably would have worked.

Tiny mouths good for limiting shrimp eating due to size of mouth. Noticed they mostly eat only from top of water or mid tank, not off the substrate.

You said you would never buy this tank...

It is wonderful that you won it, sometimes things like that can challenge you in a way you would never have been, since you would never have bought it!

Very excited to follow along!

Just got back from the LFS and the owner is going to an auction on the 27th and is going to try track down some plants for me.
Stream Bogmoss (Mayaca fluviatilis)
Blyxa japonica
Dwarf Hairgrass (Elocharis acicularis)
Downoi (Pogostemon helferi)
Crystalwort (Riccia fluitans)
Peacock moss

Should be a lot cheaper than eBay, online stores or ordering them in and I don't mind the wait :)

Found the rest of the light fixture. It's ugly and big but it does the job. Would love a nice sleek LED one though.

View attachment 185104

not sure am i allowed to refer to other sites, but all of those plants could be easily found on theplantedtank forum. Most of the hobbyist there sells those plants pretty cheap. these are general prices i have seen

Stream Bogmoss (Mayaca fluviatilis) $1/stem
Blyxa japonica $1/stem
Dwarf Hairgrass (Elocharis acicularis) $5-$6/2x2
Downoi (Pogostemon helferi) $3 per crown
Crystalwort (Riccia fluitans) these are cheap, 5x5 for $15 (shipping included), 10x10 $25
Peacock moss - 6/golfball

SOME petco sells Elocharis acicularis for 6.99 in those tissue culture bags, Petsmart has started selling Pogostemon helferi for 8.99 a bag (but they are tiny, needs to be grown out)

Back
Top Bottom