2.5 gallon snail tanks?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GuppyAdore

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have 2 2.5 gallon tanks sitting aside with fine gravel, some marimos, and some 3 gallon Tetra whisper filters running. The tanks have just finished their (seeded) cycling. My local petsmart is giving away pest snails and I have some puffers that would love it if I had the little snails on hand ;)
My questions are:

would these tanks be suitable for snails?
What could I do to make them better?
How many of the snails can I stock in each tank?

Any other wisdom?

Thank you so much

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I have 2 2.5 gallon tanks sitting aside with fine gravel, some marimos, and some 3 gallon Tetra whisper filters running. The tanks have just finished their (seeded) cycling. My local petsmart is giving away pest snails and I have some puffers that would love it if I had the little snails on hand ;)
My questions are:

would these tanks be suitable for snails?
What could I do to make them better?
How many of the snails can I stock in each tank?

Any other wisdom?

Thank you so much

Do you mean ramshorn or pond snail's? If yes then that would be ok. Remember they can over populate quickly so try and not over feed them. You won't need to start with too many as you'll soon end up with plenty Lol I'm having that problem with my red ramshorn snail's.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

If op has puffers let them breed away. Puffers can go thru a lot of snails fast.

They are rams horn and yeah I got a few the other day, qt'ed them for a few days, and tried to see if my guys like them.

They do!
I'll be getting tanks set up and ready here very shortly

I think you'll find ramshorns are not quite a prolific as the little bladder snails are, so I'd let them breed away as much as they will. They seem to like grazing plant leaves more than anything else, that's where mine spend most of their time, so I'd have lots of broader leaved easy plants. Hygro difformis will work well, given enough light. If the plants are doing well the snails will eat well. Frogbit would work too.

Alternatively, keep the tanks bare and feed them something like fish flakes or algae pellets and only as much as they can clean up overnight. You don't want food rotting in there. I'd keep a sponge filter running, or a small size HOB or internal filter because snail populations can crash if the water parameters are not well kept. They are inverts and thus, are sensitive to high levels of nitrates, or any level of nitrites or ammonia. Unlike some snails, they also do not have operculums, or doors, that they can close to protect themselves.

Back
Top Bottom