2xRCS dead :(

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tuck

Aquarium Advice Freak
I got back from work and noticed I had 2 red cherrywood dead on the bottom of my tank, I then noticed my heater had failed and my tank was at 61.... Could this of killed the shrimp? All my fish are ok, and seem to be acting normal but as of yet I've not investigated the other shrimp who I'm assuming are hiding somewhere. I'm gonna wait for the water to heat up again overnight then check on them tomorrow.

I got back from work and noticed I had 2 red cherrywood dead on the bottom of my tank, I then noticed my heater had failed and my tank was at 61.... Could this of killed the shrimp? All my fish are ok, and seem to be acting normal but as of yet I've not investigated the other shrimp who I'm assuming are hiding somewhere. I'm gonna wait for the water to heat up again overnight then check on them tomorrow.

What fish are you keeping with them? I wouldn't think the cold would have killed them as I have read about people keeping RCS in outdoor pools tear round. Although being stressed from the temperature drop and potential predators in the fish could easily cause them to keel over.

Neons, guppies, harlequins, honey gouramis about 1.5" I haven't added a fish for 2-3 weeks. And the shrimps where in the tank a while before the fish were. Also the dead shrimp are fully intact. Full tails/legs etc. I've check my water and it seems fine :( maybe just one of those things.

Neons, guppies, harlequins, honey gouramis about 1.5" I haven't added a fish for 2-3 weeks. And the shrimps where in the tank a while before the fish were. Also the dead shrimp are fully intact. Full tails/legs etc. I've check my water and it seems fine :( maybe just one of those things.

I would say it is probably a combination of stress from the quick temperature swing and being with the fish. I haven't successfully kept fish with shrimp personally. I know there are cases out there but I think even small Gouramis like the honey can peck at shrimp enough to stress them to death. Hopefully it was just the temp so that you can enjoy your RCS.

I would say it is probably a combination of stress from the quick temperature swing and being with the fish. I haven't successfully kept fish with shrimp personally. I know there are cases out there but I think even small Gouramis like the honey can peck at shrimp enough to stress them to death. Hopefully it was just the temp so that you can enjoy your RCS.

Yeah I've never seen any aggression. But who knows what happens when the lights go out :p I'll keep a close eye on the rest.

So today I checked the rest of my shrimp and all are doing fine, also found 2 Moults when I moved the dw so took them out :) they seem happy again can't understand what happened.

image-593329928.jpg

image-2241965738.jpg

image-3001346352.jpg

Those are some nice looking shrimp....and you can actually just leave the molt in the tank because they will actually eat it

Those are some nice looking shrimp....and you can actually just leave the molt in the tank because they will actually eat it

Ok thanks for the tip :)

My wife and I have a leopard gecko and I believe its actually crucial to let him eat his shed skin. That way he can keep his nutrients up. Do you know if thats true with shrumps?

Yes. Shrimps get back some nutrients from the shed that they lose in the process of a moult.

If you are feeding a shrimp food there shouldn't be any issues with nutrition, mine pretty much ignore them, they will go check it out and move on.

Sorry to hear about the loss. Perhaps they were in a delicate state after the molt and not used to the temp. Nice looking shrimp.

I would add a chunk of cuttlebone to the tank, just to make sure they can pick at it if they want, or although I have not used it, mineral stone seems to be a great from people's reviews.

If you are feeding a shrimp food there shouldn't be any issues with nutrition, mine pretty much ignore them, they will go check it out and move on.

Sorry to hear about the loss. Perhaps they were in a delicate state after the molt and not used to the temp. Nice looking shrimp.

I would add a chunk of cuttlebone to the tank, just to make sure they can pick at it if they want, or although I have not used it, mineral stone seems to be a great from people's reviews.

I might consider a cuttle bone, stupid question do they sink :/ ?

Back
Top Bottom