7.5g Shrimp/Planted Tank Build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DeeLee2013

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Planning to make a desktop oasis for some shrimp. Not sure what kind yet, but I want something colorful!

Supplies:
-->Finnex Low Iron 12"x12"x12" Rimless cube tank
-->Finnex 12" Clip-On Fugeray Planted+ LED
-->Finnex 12" Glass Lid with clips
-->Dual- Sponge Filter

Still not sure about hardscape, substrate, plants and stock.
Chime in!

? Diana Lee ?
? the St. Augustine Redhead ?
Florida Orchid Endler's | Documented Class N Orchid Endler's Livebearer Fish

Definitely following! I just set up a little 2.5g shrimp tank just like an hour ago :)

Caleb

Sent via TARDIS

Following! I was planning to buy the same tank too :D

Sent from my 710C using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I just planted some staurogyne in front of mopani wood and I'm a fan of how it looks. Bright green contrasts the brown wood. Crawling with red cherries and an amano. I also tied some pellia to a piece of cholla wood to look like an underwater palm tree. Wish I could get some Tangerine Tiger Shrimp in there, but Rome wasn't built in a day.

Any thoughts about what type of shrimp? I love darker substrates with cherries, red rili, oranges, and yellows...shows off their colors so well! I have natural colored sand with my carbon rili, again the nice contrast.

Thinking about any fish at all or just shrimp?

Thinking about blue velvet, carbon rili or blue bolt, maybe ever CRS. The blue tiger shrimp with orange eyes might be pretty cool.
Can anyone tell I love the color blue? Lol
Was thinking Fluval stratum for substrate. Anyone have any experience with it?

? Diana Lee ?
http://floridaorchidendlers.com

Lately I've been thinking of starting a shrimp tank so I'll definitely be following this.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I have eco complete as my substrate, like it fine for shrimp. Haven't tried fluval stratum. The color of eco complete is black/gray, but fluval stratum is sort of brown/tan.

I have eco complete as my substrate, like it fine for shrimp. Haven't tried fluval stratum. The color of eco complete is black/gray, but fluval stratum is sort of brown/tan.

Hmm, good to know. I want a black base, so that may know the stratum out of the game.
Also, for a tank this size, what is a good canister filter if I wanted lily pipes?

? Diana Lee ?

Finnex px 360 is a good filter but not sure if you can use lily pipes.

Sent from my 710C using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I thought I'd mention this since you're thinking about darker shrimp. I set up a small tank for tigers with an EC substrate....could hardly see the shrimp at all and I ended up moving them and put oranges in the tank.

Just a sketch of what I'm envisioning for the shrimp habitat...

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1428784862.128299.jpg

Manzanita tree, Seiryu stone outcroppings, white sand pathway, and dark substrate for the planted area.

Plant ideas:
Weeping moss for the tree
Air plant for the area of the tree above water line
Looking for ideas for the lower plants...

? Diana Lee ?

Just a sketch of what I'm envisioning for the shrimp habitat...

Manzanita tree, Seiryu stone outcroppings, white sand pathway, and dark substrate for the planted area.

Plant ideas:
Weeping moss for the tree
Air plant for the area of the tree above water line
Looking for ideas for the lower plants...

Have you used seiryu? I had considered it for my Spec but I was concerned about it messing with pH.

I think you would have a hard time keeping the riccia down. Maybe anubias nana petite? As long as the rhizome is not in the substrate it makes a pretty nice ground cover :)

Maybe if I used a steel mat under the substrate, it would work?
I'm not set on riccia. I just like the fluffy foreground idea.
The tank came today with my little planted+ light. I won't be setting anything up until we're in the new house. The closing is scheduled for May 1st ?
For now, my 36g will be the incubation chamber for all flora I get.

? Diana Lee ?

Might I say your choice of mosses for the tree is excellent, so many people choose mosses that tend to grow in random directions and need frequent trimming to keep the shape. Also, although riccia makes a neat foreground, it gets really unruly really fast and needs constant attention to keep it under control.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Might I say your choice of mosses for the tree is excellent, so many people choose mosses that tend to grow in random directions and need frequent trimming to keep the shape. Also, although riccia makes a neat foreground, it gets really unruly really fast and needs constant attention to keep it under control.

Thanks! Still unsure about about the flora and fauna stock list. Just playing badminton with ideas.
Since this will be a shrimp tank, would the sponge filter just be easier? I know it might be a bit of an eye sore, but if I angle it right, it'll cut down on the equipment list.
Speaking of equipment, what kind of plants should I be able to handle for the FugeRay Planted+?

? Diana Lee ?
? the Redhead ?

Thanks! Still unsure about about the flora and fauna stock list. Just playing badminton with ideas.
Since this will be a shrimp tank, would the sponge filter just be easier? I know it might be a bit of an eye sore, but if I angle it right, it'll cut down on the equipment list.
Speaking of equipment, what kind of plants should I be able to handle for the FugeRay Planted+?

Shrimp seem to love sponge filters and from what I've read it's what most of the breeders use. Bonus is that you don't have to worry about covering a regular filter intake to keep out fry.

Shrimp seem to love sponge filters and from what I've read it's what most of the breeders use. Bonus is that you don't have to worry about covering a regular filter intake to keep out fry.

Yes lots of goodies grow on the sponges that shrimp love to eat.

Will you be doing co2 in this tank?

Back
Top Bottom