a few shrimp questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rreekers

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I want to add different types of shrimp to my tanks. but need some info 1st.

I bought 1.5 dozen ghost shrimp today to add to my fry tank, but got on the web first and realized they can eat my fry (awesome :/ ) so I put them in my 30g live breeder tank ..

1. will ghost shrimp really commonly eat fry?
2. what kind of shrimp would be best for a fry tank?
3. will the ghost shrimp be eaten /killed by my live breeders?
4. what types of shrimp could I add to my 40g breeder community tank ( gb rams, swordtails, kuhlis, cories, cherry barbs, 2 mystery snails)
5. which shrimp breed most readily ( minimal human assistance) ?
6. are there complications with mixing different types of shrimp?
7. what types of shrimp should be avoided?
8. will liquid plant ferts kill/harm shrimp?

***I will probably come up with more questions, and if anyone else has a question don't feel bad about hijacking the thread AS LONG AS ITS ABOUT SHRIMP. .. I hope this helps a lot of people and provides some common/ useful info for the greater good of AA... as well assists me in stocking my tanks :)

Well i can tell you that cherry red shrimp breed very easily. If they have clean water, they WILL breed. And you definately want to avoid a long armed prawn. It can look like a ghost shrimp but turns into a fish killer

rreekers said:

I bought 1.5 dozen ghost shrimp today to add to my fry tank, but got on the web first and realized they can eat my fry (awesome :/ ) so I put them in my 30g live breeder tank ..

4. what types of shrimp could I add to my 40g breeder community tank ( gb rams, swordtails, kuhlis, cories, cherry barbs, 2 mystery snails)

***I will probably come up with more questions, and if anyone else has a question don't feel bad about hijacking the thread AS LONG AS ITS ABOUT SHRIMP. .. I hope this helps a lot of people and provides some common/ useful info for the greater good of AA... as well assists me in stocking my tanks :)

1. Yes, they eat meat and eat what they can catch !
2. Cherry Shimp
3. Perhaps
4. Amanos get large
5. Cherries RCS
6. Some can crossbreed. Look it up.
7. Long Armed Shrimp as was mentioned. Bamboo Shrimp need more care - filter feeders
8. Not usually. CO2 too much too fast can kill Shrimp and fish.

Coursair said:
1. Yes, they eat meat and eat what they can catch !
2. Cherry Shimp
3. Perhaps
4. Amanos get large
5. Cherries RCS
6. Some can crossbreed. Look it up.
7. Long Armed Shrimp as was mentioned. Bamboo Shrimp need more care - filter feeders
8. Not usually. CO2 too much too fast can kill Shrimp and fish.

thank you for the info :) Im going continue my research tomorrow, the whole day is devoted to research, water changes, and possible trips to some pet stores to look for shrimp :) :excited:

rreekers said:

1. It depends, there are about 12 species listed as "ghost shrimp" or "glass shrimp" some of which can eat fry, and some can't.

2. IMO, red cherry shrimp! (RCS) They are hardy, and ,if in the right conditions, breed like crazy!

3. No, I don't think they will get eaten. It could possibly happen though.

4. I'm not too sure, the GB ram might snack on the adults and of course the juvies. Im pretty sure they will become a snack, but if there's enough hiding places they will most likely survive.

5. The best shrimp to start off with are red cherry shrimp!! They are very hardy, breed like crazy, inexpensive, and not too picky about water parameters. They don't need any special requirements, but live plants.

6. Yes, there are. Some species will interbreed creating an "ugly" brown hybrid shrimp. I know the hybrid part sounds cool, but if cross bred, they revert to their original wild color (brown) and I've heard that they are pretty weak. As in will die off faster. They will only interbreed if they are in the same family ex: neocardina heteropoda (RCS) will cross with neocardina zhangjiajiensis (snowball shrimp) BUT neocardina heteropoda will NOT cross with Cardina Cantonensis (crystal red shrimp) so, neocardina will cross with neocardina. Neocardina will NOT cross with Cardina:)

7. It depends, some species of shrimp like different conditions. For example, crystal red shrimp like Acidic water, and red cherry shrimp like a more alkaline water. I think you should stay away from more advanced shrimp for now like tiger's and crystals. Once you get used too having RCS, then you can definitely upgrade:)

8. Some will, some won't. Stay away from medicines or fertilizers with copper. Large amounts will kill invertebrates. Very small amounts are sometimes ok. Remember, with shrimp you have to start dosing ferts very slowly so they can get used to them.

If you have any more questions, feel free to PM me!:)

rreekers said:
what is a good number of shrimp (rcs) to get in order to create a "colony"

I know of people who have started their colony with 10 and in a few months had about 80:)

Austin.b said:
I know of people who have started their colony with 10 and in a few months had about 80:)

OK :) I called around to 22 petstores and a few people and found a OK price on sets of 12.. so.I think ill start with a dozen

rreekers said:
OK :) I called around to 22 petstores and a few people and found a OK price on sets of 12.. so.I think ill start with a dozen

Would you be interested In buying from another member n here? Jetajockey has some awesome RCS. Super red, and very healthy. He sells them pretty cheap too:) I've bought quite a bit of them from him and they have always been top notch:)

tarpon said:
Be aware they may get sucked into the filter

The babies will, as they are extremely small. A sponge prefilter will solve this problem. Just slip it over the intake of the filter:)

Would you be interested In buying from another member n here? Jetajockey has some awesome RCS. Super red, and very healthy. He sells them pretty cheap too:) I've bought quite a bit of them from him and they have always been top notch:)

i will send him a PM i would defiantly buy some more, ive read in my research its good to get new ones from different sources to minimize deformities from inter breeding

MORE QUESTIONS::::
could i house RCS and Malawa Shrimp together... i have been doing a little research and they are totally different species so interbreeding wouldnt be an issue,, they are both dwarf shrimp,

do you see any issues here?
alway would the malawa shrimp go after my fry? (i wouldnt think so since they are little like rcs)

rreekers said:
could i house RCS and Malawa Shrimp together... i have been doing a little research and they are totally different species so interbreeding wouldnt be an issue,, they are both dwarf shrimp,

alway would the malawa shrimp go after my fry? (i wouldnt think so since they are little like rcs)

Never heard of them. No idea about the fry. Most Sulawesi are very sensitive from what ive read. These sound sturdy. Personally I started with RCS and got those dialed in before I got a second species. But that's me.

rreekers said:

Yes you can, they haven't found any species this shrimp could interbreed with in the hobby. The malawa shrimp like a softer water, with a higher pH, but can still be in harder water. These are actually known to be pretty hardy, unlike other saluweisi shrimp. They also breed readily. IMO they would be fine with RCS. However I would stick with RCS for a while and get them down first, like Coursair suggested:)

NickB8951 said:
I bought this pre-filter sponge from Fluval. It should work with most filters, but if it doesn't it's only $2.50 @ Petsmart. This has prevented not only my shrimp from getting sucked in, but it keeps my filter cleaner by stopping bigger debris from coming through!

Here's a link:
Fluval Edge Pre-Filter Sponge - Filter Media - Fish - PetSmart

these are what I already use :)

Back
Top Bottom