Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Invertebrates
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 06-21-2018, 05:04 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

Adding too many Shrimps at once !

I have a 5 gallon planted tank. I ordered 35 shrimps and expecting them to arrive today but I read that adding too much live stock all at once can disturb the water chemistry.

Shall I add Seachem prime to water? I thought to add prime like an hour ago to tank before i start drip acclimation but do I need to dose prime for few days more to be safe if yes then for how many days? Please reply.

Old 06-21-2018, 09:09 AM   #2
ZxC
Aquarium Advice Addict

I wouldn't worry too much. Shrimp bioload is very small. I would watch parameters for a few days though, just to be sure that there is no spike in anything.

Best not to add a bunch of Prime at once, only add enough to treat new water during a water change.

Prime won't do anything in your case as the tank is mature and there is not much for it to bind to.

If it were easy we wouldn't be here
ZxC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 03:24 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZxC View Post
I wouldn't worry too much. Shrimp bioload is very small. I would watch parameters for a few days though, just to be sure that there is no spike in anything.

Best not to add a bunch of Prime at once, only add enough to treat new water during a water change.

Prime won't do anything in your case as the tank is mature and there is not much for it to bind to.
Thanks a lot. Will do as you said.
Old 06-21-2018, 09:18 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict
Community Moderator

Tank of the Month Award

Prior to adding the shrimp, did you drip acclimate them? I usually do this for an hour, however, it often requires the addition of water to the main tank.
What kind are the new shrimps?
Old 06-22-2018, 03:54 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict
Community Moderator

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

All of the above plus feed lightly for the first week, a larger feeding like 8 hours before a normal pwc, and maybe do a couple tiny pwc in the week just to help keep up water quality.

Normal little things to keep up with the water quality the second week still do the extra couple tiny water changes then reduce the water changes back to normal as you increase the feeding to a normal level again.

Kind of helps smooth out the water parameters in case of a mini cycle. Good time to add leaf litter/alder cones if it has degraded down or hasn't been done for a while.

New to FW fish? First tank in a long time or EVER??? Need some info on keeping fish?
Start here - Aquarium Advice Article
https://www.aquariumadvice.com/guide...ater-aquarium/

Community Rules
https://www.aquariumadvice.com/forum...ork&page=rules

FW & SW
Favorite tank right now -5G Spec V Snails & Betta
Autumnsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2018, 11:49 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fresh2o View Post
Prior to adding the shrimp, did you drip acclimate them? I usually do this for an hour, however, it often requires the addition of water to the main tank.
What kind are the new shrimps?
Yes always do long drip acclimation minimum two hours and in case of bees its more. I bought some chocolate, blue dreams, orange pumpkins and in caridinas crs and cbs.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Autumnsky View Post
All of the above plus feed lightly for the first week, a larger feeding like 8 hours before a normal pwc, and maybe do a couple tiny pwc in the week just to help keep up water quality.

Normal little things to keep up with the water quality the second week still do the extra couple tiny water changes then reduce the water changes back to normal as you increase the feeding to a normal level again.

Kind of helps smooth out the water parameters in case of a mini cycle. Good time to add leaf litter/alder cones if it has degraded down or hasn't been done for a while.
Thanks a lot Maam. Will do. Two days and everything going fine for now. Water parameters are fine.
Old 06-24-2018, 03:15 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict
Community Moderator

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Love the shrimp!!! Glad so far so good.

New to FW fish? First tank in a long time or EVER??? Need some info on keeping fish?
Start here - Aquarium Advice Article
https://www.aquariumadvice.com/guide...ater-aquarium/

Community Rules
https://www.aquariumadvice.com/forum...ork&page=rules

FW & SW
Favorite tank right now -5G Spec V Snails & Betta
Autumnsky is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
rim, shrimp, shrimps

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com