Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Invertebrates
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
 
Old 06-21-2018, 05:04 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
kashif314's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Posts: 1,344
Adding too many Shrimps at once !

I have a 5 gallon planted tank. I ordered 35 shrimps and expecting them to arrive today but I read that adding too much live stock all at once can disturb the water chemistry.

Shall I add Seachem prime to water? I thought to add prime like an hour ago to tank before i start drip acclimation but do I need to dose prime for few days more to be safe if yes then for how many days? Please reply.
__________________

__________________
kashif314 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 09:09 AM   #2
ZxC
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
ZxC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: London, ON
Posts: 1,092
I wouldn't worry too much. Shrimp bioload is very small. I would watch parameters for a few days though, just to be sure that there is no spike in anything.

Best not to add a bunch of Prime at once, only add enough to treat new water during a water change.

Prime won't do anything in your case as the tank is mature and there is not much for it to bind to.
__________________

__________________
____________________________________________

If it were easy we wouldn't be here
ZxC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 03:24 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
kashif314's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Posts: 1,344
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZxC View Post
I wouldn't worry too much. Shrimp bioload is very small. I would watch parameters for a few days though, just to be sure that there is no spike in anything.

Best not to add a bunch of Prime at once, only add enough to treat new water during a water change.

Prime won't do anything in your case as the tank is mature and there is not much for it to bind to.
Thanks a lot. Will do as you said.
__________________
kashif314 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 09:18 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict
Community Moderator
 
Fresh2o's Avatar



Tank of the Month Award
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Northern Virginia
Posts: 12,728
Prior to adding the shrimp, did you drip acclimate them? I usually do this for an hour, however, it often requires the addition of water to the main tank.
What kind are the new shrimps?
__________________
I am an ALGAE farmer.
Terms of Service | Community Rules | FresH2O's Planted Tank | Fresh2o's Shrimp Tank
Fresh2o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2018, 03:54 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict
Community Moderator
 
Autumnsky's Avatar



POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Northern Colorado, USA
Posts: 11,926
All of the above plus feed lightly for the first week, a larger feeding like 8 hours before a normal pwc, and maybe do a couple tiny pwc in the week just to help keep up water quality.

Normal little things to keep up with the water quality the second week still do the extra couple tiny water changes then reduce the water changes back to normal as you increase the feeding to a normal level again.

Kind of helps smooth out the water parameters in case of a mini cycle. Good time to add leaf litter/alder cones if it has degraded down or hasn't been done for a while.
__________________

New to FW fish? First tank in a long time or EVER??? Need some info on keeping fish?
Start here - Aquarium Advice Article
https://www.aquariumadvice.com/guide...ater-aquarium/

Community Rules
https://www.aquariumadvice.com/forum...ork&page=rules

FW & SW
Favorite tank right now -5G Spec V Snails & Betta
Autumnsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2018, 11:49 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
kashif314's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Posts: 1,344
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fresh2o View Post
Prior to adding the shrimp, did you drip acclimate them? I usually do this for an hour, however, it often requires the addition of water to the main tank.
What kind are the new shrimps?
Yes always do long drip acclimation minimum two hours and in case of bees its more. I bought some chocolate, blue dreams, orange pumpkins and in caridinas crs and cbs.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Autumnsky View Post
All of the above plus feed lightly for the first week, a larger feeding like 8 hours before a normal pwc, and maybe do a couple tiny pwc in the week just to help keep up water quality.

Normal little things to keep up with the water quality the second week still do the extra couple tiny water changes then reduce the water changes back to normal as you increase the feeding to a normal level again.

Kind of helps smooth out the water parameters in case of a mini cycle. Good time to add leaf litter/alder cones if it has degraded down or hasn't been done for a while.
Thanks a lot Maam. Will do. Two days and everything going fine for now. Water parameters are fine.
__________________
kashif314 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2018, 03:15 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict
Community Moderator
 
Autumnsky's Avatar



POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Northern Colorado, USA
Posts: 11,926
Love the shrimp!!! Glad so far so good.
__________________

__________________

New to FW fish? First tank in a long time or EVER??? Need some info on keeping fish?
Start here - Aquarium Advice Article
https://www.aquariumadvice.com/guide...ater-aquarium/

Community Rules
https://www.aquariumadvice.com/forum...ork&page=rules

FW & SW
Favorite tank right now -5G Spec V Snails & Betta
Autumnsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
rim, shrimp, shrimps

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Adding fish: how many is too many? Zaphia1 Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion 18 11-03-2013 03:05 PM
LEDs enough light for live plants? Is Two at once too many? tiedyn Freshwater & Brackish - Planted Tanks 12 09-18-2012 09:42 PM
How many shrimps are too many? MsBeanCtr Saltwater Reef Aquaria 3 09-16-2008 02:03 PM
Once a week instead of once a month water changes? Just Dave Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started 8 02-20-2004 10:01 PM
Feed them once a day?, or Once every other day? JamesMJ2 Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion 8 09-02-2003 12:20 AM







» Photo Contest Winners








Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:11 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.