Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Invertebrates
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-08-2017, 10:10 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Ah! Snailapocalypse!

Boy, did I mess up.
A few weeks ago I was thinking to myself about how my cherry shrimp were being such good boys lately, and that they deserve a treat. So off to the store I went to purchase some java moss! Boy are they going to be pumped. What a day.
Upon getting home, I rinsed the moss out in some tank water I scooped out, then shoved java moss into the shrimp hotel. They loved it. Couldn't get enough. I hardly see them anymore. They never come round for tea. I miss them.

Then BAM! Hostile invasion. Snail-nado touches down in tank land. There's like 20 of these little dudes racing around like they own the place. Gail, My one and only nerite snail was all "hey dude! I was just about to clean that!"

Although they seem very efficient, I feel like I can't afford to hire all these workers. Especially if they plan on inviting more or their family.

So what happens now? It feels cruel to just kick them out cause they don't have papers! Where will they live!

Old 08-08-2017, 10:15 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict
Community Moderator

Tank of the Month Award

I have 3 types of snails living in my shrimp tanks. Their numbers are not overwhelming. I don't overfeed the shrimp, though during feeding time it is often a scrum between the snails and shrimp.

Old 08-08-2017, 10:36 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Snail-nado?! ROTFLMFAO.

I can't wait for the B movie.
Old 08-08-2017, 11:38 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak

Know anyone with loaches or pufferfish?

Get a large piece of lettuce, blanch it, and put it in at night. In the morning, grab the lettuce, take off the snail you want to keep. Put the rest in a ziplock bag and freeze them before throwing them away. Repeat as needed. (So says google.)
Old 08-16-2017, 03:18 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

are these pond/bladder snails? If so then I wouldnt worry to much, most anything eats them.
If these are trumpet snails then theres really not much you can do. They arent overly intrusive and mainly only show up when the lights are out but yes they are ugly. Puffers and loaches will take out smaller ones but larger ones are pretty much free to roam with little threat.
Old 08-16-2017, 05:23 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Just gather them up and send them to me!! Or I can lease you my puffers to clean house.

****lease as stands, value based on nominal snail nommage. If nommage exceeds standard nomming per capita 1876-2007 than you'll have to buy me lunch, all deals final and I prefer cheeseburgers*****
Old 08-16-2017, 06:11 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Just buy an assassin Snail cheapest and easiest way to get rid of them without having to put so much work on taking care of it nor as feeding it
Old 08-17-2017, 02:26 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by garvic43 View Post
Just buy an assassin Snail cheapest and easiest way to get rid of them without having to put so much work on taking care of it nor as feeding it
since taking my puffer out of my 5 gallon Im noticing bladder eggs all over. Ive been removing them and throwing them in my 55 for the fish there but maybe an assasin snail would be a good addition to my 5 to keep the population in check.
Old 08-17-2017, 02:36 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by evil Nick View Post
since taking my puffer out of my 5 gallon Im noticing bladder eggs all over. Ive been removing them and throwing them in my 55 for the fish there but maybe an assasin snail would be a good addition to my 5 to keep the population in check.
I would to be honest and they will kill all the eggs they try to lay as well so will be killing them before they hatch. I love having snails I have over 200 easy in my fish tanks all combined my Cichlids like them as treats

Tags
snail

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com