Ah! Snailapocalypse!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MaggieR

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Boy, did I mess up.
A few weeks ago I was thinking to myself about how my cherry shrimp were being such good boys lately, and that they deserve a treat. So off to the store I went to purchase some java moss! Boy are they going to be pumped. What a day.
Upon getting home, I rinsed the moss out in some tank water I scooped out, then shoved java moss into the shrimp hotel. They loved it. Couldn't get enough. I hardly see them anymore. They never come round for tea. I miss them.

Then BAM! Hostile invasion. Snail-nado touches down in tank land. There's like 20 of these little dudes racing around like they own the place. Gail, My one and only nerite snail was all "hey dude! I was just about to clean that!"

Although they seem very efficient, I feel like I can't afford to hire all these workers. Especially if they plan on inviting more or their family.

So what happens now? It feels cruel to just kick them out cause they don't have papers! Where will they live!

I have 3 types of snails living in my shrimp tanks. Their numbers are not overwhelming. I don't overfeed the shrimp, though during feeding time it is often a scrum between the snails and shrimp.

Know anyone with loaches or pufferfish?

Get a large piece of lettuce, blanch it, and put it in at night. In the morning, grab the lettuce, take off the snail you want to keep. Put the rest in a ziplock bag and freeze them before throwing them away. Repeat as needed. (So says google.)

are these pond/bladder snails? If so then I wouldnt worry to much, most anything eats them.
If these are trumpet snails then theres really not much you can do. They arent overly intrusive and mainly only show up when the lights are out but yes they are ugly. Puffers and loaches will take out smaller ones but larger ones are pretty much free to roam with little threat.

Just gather them up and send them to me!! Or I can lease you my puffers to clean house.

****lease as stands, value based on nominal snail nommage. If nommage exceeds standard nomming per capita 1876-2007 than you'll have to buy me lunch, all deals final and I prefer cheeseburgers*****

Just buy an assassin Snail cheapest and easiest way to get rid of them without having to put so much work on taking care of it nor as feeding it

Just buy an assassin Snail cheapest and easiest way to get rid of them without having to put so much work on taking care of it nor as feeding it

since taking my puffer out of my 5 gallon Im noticing bladder eggs all over. Ive been removing them and throwing them in my 55 for the fish there but maybe an assasin snail would be a good addition to my 5 to keep the population in check.

since taking my puffer out of my 5 gallon Im noticing bladder eggs all over. Ive been removing them and throwing them in my 55 for the fish there but maybe an assasin snail would be a good addition to my 5 to keep the population in check.
I would to be honest and they will kill all the eggs they try to lay as well so will be killing them before they hatch. I love having snails I have over 200 easy in my fish tanks all combined my Cichlids like them as treats

Back
Top Bottom