Amano Attack

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

UntimelyLord

Aquarium Advice Freak
Holy crap! I just witnessed three amano shrimp take down a skirt tetra! I'm startled because I am pretty new to shrimp but have been enjoying them and was not aware that this was something that could happen; I would have thought they found the fish already dead had I not seen them take it down swimming!
Now, the fish was not 100% well, but the shrimp seemed to know this better than I did. I had kept the fish in question in quarantine for 21 days for an eye injury that wasn't healing. The "injury" still hadn't healed, but after 3 weeks I was ready to believe that it was a growth or lymphocystis by the eye since there had been no change. I put him back into my 30 gallon that houses 9 other skirt tetras and 6 amano shrimp, and he seemed fine, schooling and eating with the others for two days. This evening he was separated from the group a little, then just now, when I checked on the fish after the light timer had turned the lights off to see if I should put him back in quarantine, I saw the amanos chasing him, and before I could get to him the shrimp had picked at him almost to the point of death and I had to euthanize him. Obviously there was something wrong with the fish and the shrimp somehow sensed it. I'm still a bit weirded out and I think having them "clean" my arms as I clean the tank will not be quite as endearing anymore!

I do feed them Hikari mini algae wafers and sinking NLS pellets every other day and blanched spinach about once a week. I think I'll be feeding them every day now though, and perhaps they need bigger servings!

Holy crap! I just witnessed three amano shrimp take down a skirt tetra! I'm startled because I am pretty new to shrimp but have been enjoying them and was not aware that this was something that could happen; I would have thought they found the fish already dead had I not seen them take it down swimming!
Now, the fish was not 100% well, but the shrimp seemed to know this better than I did. I had kept the fish in question in quarantine for 21 days for an eye injury that wasn't healing. The "injury" still hadn't healed, but after 3 weeks I was ready to believe that it was a growth or lymphocystis by the eye since there had been no change. I put him back into my 30 gallon that houses 9 other skirt tetras and 6 amano shrimp, and he seemed fine, schooling and eating with the others for two days. This evening he was separated from the group a little, then just now, when I checked on the fish after the light timer had turned the lights off to see if I should put him back in quarantine, I saw the amanos chasing him, and before I could get to him the shrimp had picked at him almost to the point of death and I had to euthanize him. Obviously there was something wrong with the fish and the shrimp somehow sensed it. I'm still a bit weirded out and I think having them "clean" my arms as I clean the tank will not be quite as endearing anymore!

I've heard of ghost shrimp doing this but never Amanos

Yeah my Amanos are a full grown two inches and pretty thick bodied. I've read elsewhere of people being sold macrobrachium shrimp mixed with Amanos but I'm positive these are all Amanos.

If u have a separate tank, try putting one or all in there.

I have 5 very large breeding shrimp in my tank and I have never seen them go after any of my fish. Mine are very peaceful. IMG_1341.jpg

Back
Top Bottom