Amano climbers

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

libertybelle

Aquarium Advice Addict
I know this is old news but while I knew they were escape artists and jumpers I didn’t realize how well they could climb straight up dry surfaces! I’m drip acclimating about five or so now and I peaked under the towel and saw two beady eyes staring back at me from near the rim of the five gallon bucket. One flipped back in when he saw me but another only about halfway up just stared me down.

Well, hello there!

Thinking maybe a small stream of water might “wash” him back down I took the drip line and let it drip down the side onto him.

Clever bugger, every time I hit him with the water from the drip line he got super excited and climbed faster right into it. I suppose I should’ve figured, climbing “upstream” towards the clean water makes a lot of sense!

Such cool creatures!

Had the same thing happen in a 5g bucket. Water was about 4” deep and the shrimp had climbed halfway up the bucket when I went to check on the acclimation.

Amano shrimp, unlike most dwarf shrimp, are great climbers and can carry their weight out of water. Dwarf shrimp can climb, though they are partially submerged for the most part.

Amano shrimp, unlike most dwarf shrimp, are great climbers and can carry their weight out of water. Dwarf shrimp can climb, though they are partially submerged for the most part.
Thanks. Yes my Shrimps and snails never tried to commit suicide so I was curious. Thanks.

Felt a "crunch" underneath my foot one morning, it was an adventurous amamo half way across my house! dried up to a crisp. Quite a journey for the poor thing. One giveaway is when you net them and bring it out of the water they will crawl and jump right out of the net if you aren't paying attention.

Felt a "crunch" underneath my foot one morning, it was an adventurous amamo half way across my house! dried up to a crisp. Quite a journey for the poor thing. One giveaway is when you net them and bring it out of the water they will crawl and jump right out of the net if you aren't paying attention.
Poor guy. I never bought them. My tank has no lid so glad I don't own any of them.

Poor guy. I never bought them. My tank has no lid so glad I don't own any of them.

I've only had 1 out of 20 or so that have been climbers. I will always keep them, great for cleaning up uneaten food and large enough that a lot of fish I like can't eat them. All my tanks are open top.

I actually had a large female amano attack and kill/eat a pygmy cory cat. I figured the cory must have been sick/weak for the shrimp to be able to attack it. Cool/interesting experience though.

My tank has no lid so glad I don't own any of them.

The shrimp tank they are in now has no lid so I was worried about that. No explorers leaving the tank yet. Eventually I will move them to my 29gal community which has a lid but its not well sealed. (There's a long strip on the back in filter area that I never bothered to close up and lots of tall plants/ornaments to help should they want to jump out. Even a couple plants like bamboo and pothos with roots in the water and leaves outside.) But I already have a few amanos in that tank and despite the fact that they easily could get out they never have and they've been in there for a long time.

Probably helps that there are no aggressive fish in there for them to run from, it's understocked and planted so water quality stays good (even when it's been weeks since a water change) and there's algae and any leaves that occasionally die back for them to munch on. I guess so far they figure they have no reason to leave?

I did lose a dwarf guarami once though. Like literally lost. I know they can be jumpers but I never found it outside the tank or inside. I lost it while I was on vacation though, so I think he probably became an unintentional vacation feeder.

I did lose a dwarf guarami once though. Like literally lost. I know they can be jumpers but I never found it outside the tank or inside. I lost it while I was on vacation though, so I think he probably became an unintentional vacation feeder.
"Unintentional vacation feeder" . That is funny IMO :facepalm:
As far as lost fish go I have lost a few the same ,never to be found..
There is a few fish and bunch of socks I put in the dryer somewhere !:nono:

... and bring it out of the water they will crawl and jump right out of the net if you aren't paying attention.

While transferring an amano from QT to display tank, it quickly crawled up the net, onto my hand, and started to go up my arm. Instinctively, I flinched and the little fellow went airborne and miraculously landed on the rim of the DT. As I approached it, it plopped into the tank. “I guess no drip acclimation for that one” I thought to myself.

Lol some very interesting stories I read about amanos. I am now happy with my water loving only dwarf shrimps then.

I used to have two ghost shrimp who tended to escape. When I was doing a water change, I noticed this flopping sound in my bathroom drawer on top of my hairbrush! Thankfully he was okay but it was pretty creepy

Back
Top Bottom