Amano shrimp

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cold Canadian

Aquarium Advice Freak
So yesterday I got a Amano shrimp for my freshwater 10 g tank with endlers livebears and Cory catfish. I know they eat algae but what kinds? whenever I see it, It is cleaning itself any helpful info would be nice.

Sent from my iPod touch 4th generation using Aquarium Advice app

i am not sure if it is actually cleaning itself, rather it may be feeding off the detritus. These are natural-born scavengers and eat almost anything from left-over fish food to algae.
That said, different people report differently. Some say it consumes hair algae, while others claim the tough BBA. I have 4 Amanos and one algae that I can vouch for that they do not eat, is clado. Also for a 10g, I would add another amano provided you do not have an overly stocked tank since they do a good job cleaning.

My tank is very full like most tanks with live bearing fish. This is also my first shrimp so I will like to see how it dose if it is good I might think of another

A few more things. Now that I look very close it is catching gunk floating by so it is eating. Also guy or girl how do you tell? Do you need multiples like a school? Can you mix amanos with other types like cherry shrimp? They are most definitely cool little
things!

Sorry for all the questions.

Also guy or girl how do you tell?
By looking closely at the spots on its body. On males, the markings are visible as separate dots. On females individual dots at times merge to form a line.
But I wouldn't worry. Amano breed in full strength sea water[>30ppm]

Do you need multiples like a school?
Not necessary

Can you mix amanos with other types like cherry shrimp?
Without a problem.

I have a few Amanos, and they're surprisingly social. I enjoy watching them run around together and share an occasional piece of algae wafer. One might be fine on its own, but with such a low bioload, it's well worth it to get a few, IMO.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Fwiw, these are fresh water shrimp, and so they don't actually swim out to sea to breed in salt water. They breed and release their eggs in fresh water, but the eggs hatch into larvae that must float out to sea and spend approximately 30 days in the sea before they morph into the adult form. Then they swim back up stream and spend the rest of their days in fresh waters.

These types of low order shrimps all originate in waters that connect to the oceans, usually living not too far from the estuaries, so their larvae can get to the ocean in time to survive and morph into adult form, which takes anywhere from a week to 90 days or more depending on the exact species of shrimp.

Amanos will readily breed and become egg laden [ berried] in our tanks if both sexes are around, but the larvae can only survive for a few days at most. If not removed to salt water, they die. Amano eggs/larvae usually end up as food items for the aquarium's inhabitants.

So today I found a empty shrimp molt. What should I do leave it in or take out?
Shrimp molt for the same reason as snakes and mantises right?
So dose this mean that she likes her new home an that there is plenty of food?

Leave the moult in. It will be eaten by the shrimp over a bit of time. It helps them recycle the calcium in it. They moult so they can grow.. the shells are not elastic at all, so when the body grows to a certain point, the shell spits and moulting happens. Not quite the same thing as a snake or lizard shedding skin, but it's the same process as it is for insects, who also have immobile exoskeletons.

If the shrimp moults successfully, it's reasonable to assume it's getting what it needs and that the water conditions are good enough for now. Assuming all parameters remains the same, the shrimp should live a normal lifespan.

Thank you very much that was a lot of very good information. When I came home from high school at 3:00 the molt was gone and there were small pieces around the tank, that leads me to think that she ate the molt.

That's usually what happens. Shortly there will be no sign of the moulted shell at all. Even my fan shrimp, who have no claws to tear things with, manage to eat at least some of their moulted shells, though often not the entire thing. I keep a few small shrimp with them to eat the rest of the moults, they never go to waste.

To add;
Make a note of the number of molts you see as it can tell a lot. If they molt irregularly, say, 1ce or 2ce weekly, then something is wrong perhaps an injury or water parameters. If its periodic, then its natural.

Also, note that juv amanos molt more frequently than adults. Initially @ 1" or less, they may molt once every week with the frequency reducing as they grow older till when they are about 2in.+ when they may molt once a year.

Molting can also be a sign they are healthy.

As a first timer, didn't want to confuse you, but if you want to keep these crits, might as well know all that's important and necessary.

I am looking to get some red cherry shrimp next Tuesday about 5-7. dose that sound like a good idea? And 2 more amanos if they have them.

Back
Top Bottom