Amano shrimp adult size

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bigzmey

Aquarium Advice Activist
I got 3 amano shrimps ~6 months ago for 12 gal tank. They are doing great, very entertaining, molt often, but hardly grow.

What is the adult size? Mine are ~1 in, I thought they grow larger...

I thought they stayed relatively small... But mine are 2-21/2".
On a site note: my local aquarium store "Nature Aquarium" in Santa Monica, told me not to feed them to keep them algae hungry. So along with the algae, they decimate my Val, Downoi, Fissidens, and Starougyn.
Greedy little buggers... I have about 30 in my 55, purchased as 1" little dudes and the run the tank. I have 5 in my RCS tank and they are very boisterous. I have tried to remove them from my Dutch setup... Impossible so far... I will continue to try and pull them and replace them with yellow and reds...

If I did not have experience with other shrimp species i think are a calmer less destructive choice... I would still love them.

I thought they stayed relatively small... But mine are 2-21/2".
On a site note: my local aquarium store "Nature Aquarium" in Santa Monica, told me not to feed them to keep them algae hungry. So along with the algae, they decimate my Val, Downoi, Fissidens, and Starougyn.
Greedy little buggers... I have about 30 in my 55, purchased as 1" little dudes and the run the tank. I have 5 in my RCS tank and they are very boisterous. I have tried to remove them from my Dutch setup... Impossible so far... I will continue to try and pull them and replace them with yellow and reds...

If I did not have experience with other shrimp species i think are a calmer less destructive choice... I would still love them.

Thanks! How long it took for them to grew from 1" to 2"? In my case I need somewhat aggressive and larger shrimps to survive in my main tank. When I got them I placed them with my emperor tetras. So, tetras managed to shred one poor guy to peaces in minutes and where chasing others all over the tank. So, for now I keep them in smaller tank, but hope one day to reintroduce.

Also, from my experience all alleged "algae eaters" been snails, shrimps or else are more than happy to snack on plants. Maybe if you lucky and just have plants which taste bad like anubis or java moss...

1.5" to 2", maybe 2.25" They love meaty foods like Hikari Sinking wafers, and will grab one, hold it and eat it like a hamburger. They really are much happier with some meaty foods.

Do you have any pics of yours close up?

My Amano are in with large angels and ram pairs and do fine. The fish ignore them, even when they were smaller in the 1" range. Unfortunately I cannot post anymore photos, I have exceeded my limit on the forum.

Back
Top Bottom