Amano shrimp compatability

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TheresaM

Aquarium Advice Addict
I've never had Amano shrimp...could they be safely kept with a female betta and pygmy spotted rasboras (B. maculatus)?

I have 4; 1 has been in the tank about 2.5 years. They show no aggression towards the fish (I have CPDs, embers, and otos). I have seen them feed side by side with otos on an algae wafer. As for micro shrimp go, they are larger (bull in a china shop) and rather than graze on a wafer, they sometimes drag it off so they can eat in peace.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Thanks! This would be for a small-ish tank (5g) that gets a bit of routine algae. Instead of going the oto or snail route I thought I'd try something new :flowers:

Shrimp are very entertaining! More so than you would think. I often find myself looking for them as I pass the tank, or when I'm on the computer, which is right next to the tank where I have 23 shrimp. They are with a female Bolivian Ram, 1 male betta and a Peacock Gudgeon. None of the fish even think about trying to eat them, but I have bigger shrimp--Amano and Ghost. I have actually witnessed bettas eating RCS, so I wouldn't try those. Amano are very big--about 2 inches at maturity. Amanos often die soon after you get them because they are caught in the wild and exposed to a lot of stress, so I only have one that survived out of the four I got, but he's king of the tank! The rest are Ghost shrimp, which are just as interesting--just not quite as big.

Shrimp are very entertaining! More so than you would think. I often find myself looking for them as I pass the tank, or when I'm on the computer, which is right next to the tank where I have 23 shrimp. They are with a female Bolivian Ram, 1 male betta and a Peacock Gudgeon. None of the fish even think about trying to eat them, but I have bigger shrimp--Amano and Ghost. I have actually witnessed bettas eating RCS, so I wouldn't try those. Amano are very big--about 2 inches at maturity. Amanos often die soon after you get them because they are caught in the wild and exposed to a lot of stress, so I only have one that survived out of the four I got, but he's king of the tank! The rest are Ghost shrimp, which are just as interesting--just not quite as big.

They definitely are! My main shrimp tank is a Spec 5; it's on my desk and I get easily distracted watching them.

I'm happy with them so far although after keeping only Neos and CRS these guys look like monsters!

Back
Top Bottom