Amano shrimp disappeared!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

odd-faust

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I recently bought 6 healthy looking amano shrimp form petco and added them to my 10 gallon tank, but after two days they all disappeared! I can't find any of them, but I don't see any bodies so I don't think they're dead? Please help! I literally don't see them anywhere!

Water chemistry was 0 ammonia, 0 nitrite, 20ppm nitrate, ph 7.8, and temp 78 F before adding the shrimp via slow drip acclimation over 2 hours, letting the bag sit in the tank during the process.

My 10gal tank has:
7 beckford pencilfish
3 pygmy Corydoras habrosus
3 otocinclus
2 nerite snails (purchased)
1 ramshorn snail (hitchhiker)
1 unknown snail (hitchhiker)
and 2 baby spiral cone snails (hitchhikers)

Decor:
very small gravel (smallest size before sand)
floating anachris (the shrimp aren't there from what I can see)
nana anubia on wood
some grass in the gravel
chola wood (no shrimp there either)
baby java fern sprigs

If they’re young and small they could be hiding in your plants really well. I have two older ones that are about 2” long and sometimes I can’t find them for days and they’ll pop up out of a plant. Sometimes I’ll be looking for 5 mins and not notice them on a leaf right in front of my face. Some of my smaller ones I can barely see if they’re cleaning the substrate.

Do you have a lid on your tank? I’ve read stories about them crawling up filters to check out what’s above the water line. Although I’ve never had mine do that and I frequently keep my lids open in the summer when it’s hot.

Back
Top Bottom