Amano shrimp in 20 gal (long) planted tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sharpchick

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I went to a new (to me, it's been there for years) local fish store, owned and operated by hobbyists yesterday.

It is aquarium and pond heaven and I'll get pics when I go back to pick up my plants this time next week.

While I was there, I was discussing my tanks, and asked about adding RCS to my 20 gallon long, which is intensively planted and will get more plants soon. One of the owners asked me about my stocking, and I told him I have two shoals of neon tetras and harlequin rasboras, and 6 emerald cories.

He was nodding yes until I got to the cories. Then he shook his head no. He said the cories would eat all the baby RCS, and might give a go at the adults. He said if they had been pygmy cories he wouldn't have hesitated on the RCS at all.

So I brought home 2 amano shrimp.

I love them! They are so cute, marching like little soldiers all over the tank. They seem to love picking at my sponge filter.

I know they won't breed in a freshwater tank. My question is, how many could I responsibly keep in this tank, which has 10 tetras, 10 rasboras and the 6 emerald cories?

For a 20 gallon tank, I think 10-20 shrimps in there is not a big deal, amano shrimps are good algea eaters too.

Back
Top Bottom