Amano shrimp killing and eating my minnows... help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lewis.r

Aquarium Advice Regular
So woke up this morning to find a white cloud minnow dead floating at the top of my fish tank with all of its scales completely missing and no fins.

Is it possible that my amano shrimp had something to do with this?

This isn't the first time I've seen one of my minnows with fins missing and this has only seemed to be a problem since I added the shrimp.

From what I saw last night before the light went off all of the fish seemed to be okay and none of the minnows were showing signs of being poorly.

Has anyone else experienced anything similar to this? As if this happens again I think I may get rid of the shrimp.

I must had that I have never seen the shrimp attack a fish yet however I have heard that they are more active at night so this could be the reason as to why I don't see anything happen.

My amanos are bossy bullies, and they'll take advantage of weak or sick fish. Any time anything dies in my community tank during the night, a macabre scene awaits me in the morning. :( I'm not sure if the amonos kill the fish or just start eating it after it dies. However, I have my suspicions and am moving them out of my community tank as soon as I can.

As everyone has just said, I'm also at the point now wondering whether the fish died overnight or it was killed and eaten.

I think I'm going to need some evidence before I remove the shrimp but to me by your guys replies that it could well be the shrimp hunting!!

Nice video.

However doesn't show him killing that rummy nose.

I'll just have to keep an eye on behaviour and if I see it attacking Mr shrimp is getting removed [emoji23]

Last edited by a moderator:
It's very common for people to blame scavengers for killing fish.

If a fish is weak enough for a shrimp to kill it then it was very very close to dying already. (Crayfish are a different story)

Shrimp are scavengers, your amano was just doing exactly what they do in the wild.

Suppose that I'll just keep him in there then maybe you are correct that it will only kill a sick fish. I'll just see how things go...

Amanos--- Aggressive Hunters!

So sorry to hear about your fish! I have been down the same road! I suspected my amano shrimp for being responsible for the death of some of my fish, but wasn't completely convinced until I witnessed 2 to 3 amano shrimp attack a black skirt tetra and bring it down to the bottom of the tank before I interceded. This fish was not sick nor weak. I have since moved my amano shrimp to their own tank where they are doing just fine. They are fascinating to watch, however, keep them well fed, and if they are not in a species only tank, they will hunt in packs like little savages!!!

Good-luck,
Jazzy cap

Thanks jazzy, interesting you should say that as I thought they were capable of bringing fish down which to me looked healthy!
I'll have to think about snails instead as my clean up crew I think and I'll give the shrimp back to my LFS as I currently don't have a 2nd tank (missus won't let me).

Anyone recommend snails that don't breed? As I DO NOT want the tank overrun with them

Nerites. But they leave egg graffiti around that never hatch but fade over time.

All others breed.

Mystery Snails are egg layers above the water. You'll find clutches of pink bubble gum. Easy to spot and remove if you don't want babies.

All others are too hard to spot and remove eggs manually.IMG_0390.jpg

Maybe they are ghost shrimp sold as Amanos? I'm not 100% sure but I've read this a few times now with ghosts being the culprit.

IMG_0410.jpg

If anyone is good at species ID then that is what my shrimp looks like.
Don’t really know how to tell the difference between a ghost and an amano

View attachment 303874

If anyone is good at species ID then that is what my shrimp looks like.
Don’t really know how to tell the difference between a ghost and an amano

Does look like an Amano. I was thinking this tank looks very English and sure enough you are from England haha. I recognise the types of wood stock and I've used that gravel before.

I once watched my amanos snack on my newly hatched CRS.
Had to get em outta there ASAP.

Well on closer observation as I have lost another 2 fish in 2 days I think some of my fishes have fin rot.

My 2 platies that are 2 years old are fine it would seem, it just appears to be the white clouds that are having problems.
How would I get rid of fin rot? As this is the first time I have actually had it in my tank.

I feel bad now for the shrimp as it may have not been him in the first place

Thanks

Make sure to feed those little Amanos. One of the favorite foods I gave them were Hikari Sinking Wafer (orange trimmed bag has a Clown Loach on it) appx. 4mm size wafer.

I would kind of drop it to the area the shrimp was sitting and they charge to it, grab it and eat it like a hamburger, rofl kinda funny to watch. They may be called algae eating shrimp but they like meat - alot!

As for the fin rot what are your water parameters?

Do a series of pwc and get the water clean as possible. That is a very good start.

Amano was most likely eating a dead and/or damaged fish. Plecos and other scavengers such as angelfish (they actually do) also do this too, this is why I like having them in my tank, they eat the decomposing corpses of dead fish reducing ammonia from becoming a major MAJOR problem if a fish dies and you don't seem him/her anymore.

Back
Top Bottom