Amano shrimp tank transfer Questions and also check out my shrimp!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

waterUtalknbout

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
This is a very particular question, but i have a 3 year old Amano. Shes been bred (unsuccessfully, i failed at salt water) and has outlasted her male and other female counterparts. Shes living in my old community tank that has 3 of the remaining fish and 1 new guy (a betta) and i thoughti lost her but she just showed up along with a fresh molt. My dilemma is this, I built a new shrimp breeding tank last week, i used 25-30% cycled water from another tank and a used filter medium along with smart start instant cycler so im confident it is cycled and i would like to move my shrimp into it. Now i know Babygirl (thats her name [: )is at the end of her life and i wanna know if she would die if i took her out of her home. Ill have pics of her and the New tank below but the tank she is currently in is starting to die as they are all old and its nothing special, just ordinary "river" gravel and fake plants. The new tank has Fluval Stratum as the substrate, lace rock, and i forget what the background plants are along with what is covering the filter but ill have some watersprite soon as well as maybe some green foxtail. Tank already has ramshorn snails added by me as a compliment to the red cherrys ill have when the tank is done and one mystery guy who came in on a plant.

TL:DR
My amano is 3, will she die if i tranfer her to this newly cycled planted tank for shrimp breeding20180930_130600.jpg20181202_162058.jpg20181202_205149.jpg

When ever you have a new tank for shrimp it should be cycled and then monitored for a few weeks to months to assure that the parameters are - and remain stable. This time also allows the biofilm to develop.

It is pretty hard to keep the shrimp safe when you aren't really sure if the parameters will stay in safe levels, which if they aren't stable they can kill your shrimp - old or young.

So maybe the Betta can live in the new tank for awhile till it is better known to be stable and cycled.

What is the condition of the older tank? Is it really stable? Even if it has gravel and plastic plants, if it is a stable tank it would be my preference until the other tank matures. You can always just keep adding the live plants into the plastic plant tank.

If you do that I would gravel vac the heck out of the substrate. Then test for a couple weeks and see if it stays stable with safe parameters. Better for shrimp.

Then after you find the new tank to be stable, switch the Betta and community fish (if they are staying together) with the shrimp.

Food for thought.

Just a few thoughts. Your Amano will find the Cherry fry a nice snack, I've never seen mine hunt down my cherry's but I know the population is NOT increasing. Also mine are 7+ years so 3 is not old

Just a few thoughts. Your Amano will find the Cherry fry a nice snack, I've never seen mine hunt down my cherry's but I know the population is NOT increasing. Also mine are 7+ years so 3 is not old
Oooo nice! "In captivity" said 2-3 years when i looked it up, i was worried. I was just gonna put her in the tank for now, while im still planting it, until she died. Good to know she still has some years left!

When ever you have a new tank for shrimp it should be cycled and then monitored for a few weeks to months to assure that the parameters are - and remain stable. This time also allows the biofilm to develop.

It is pretty hard to keep the shrimp safe when you aren't really sure if the parameters will stay in safe levels, which if they aren't stable they can kill your shrimp - old or young.

So maybe the Betta can live in the new tank for awhile till it is better known to be stable and cycled.

What is the condition of the older tank? Is it really stable? Even if it has gravel and plastic plants, if it is a stable tank it would be my preference until the other tank matures. You can always just keep adding the live plants into the plastic plant tank.

If you do that I would gravel vac the heck out of the substrate. Then test for a couple weeks and see if it stays stable with safe parameters. Better for shrimp.

Then after you find the new tank to be stable, switch the Betta and community fish (if they are staying together) with the shrimp.

Food for thought.
The old tank is very stable, and i have put clippings in the gravel substrate yes. My question was would she die sooner than later because i thought she was at the end of her life, but Earthmother told me her amanos are 7 years old! So im going to keep her where she is because that is her home and she could have some years left. New tank is stable, for now, but ill be adding plants as i build my aquascape so parameters would most likely be thrown around

I’ve had an Amano for about 3+ years. Bullet proof: when the tank was high tech it would go through daily 1.2 pH swings (due to CO2 injections) and blasts of h2o2 for algae control. Once I was transferring it from a QT to a new tank and it crawled out of the net and up my arm. I flinched and that sent to shrimp airborne where it landed on the open lid of the new tank (about 4’ away). It then crawled towards the hinge of the lid and plopped into the tank.
Despite this, I recommend drip acclimating all transfers.

Hahaha oh thats so scary isnt it!? I had her do the same thing when i first got her. Now i have a weird way of acclimating, i use a plastic bag with needle holes and ill float for about 15-20 mins, but you say you tranfered them when they were over 3 years old?

I have moved Amanos and other Neocaridina shrimp from tank to tank without trouble. Autumnsky is 100% correct about making sure that the 'new' tank is very well-established and stable. I also gradually (over about a week) try to get the water parameters between the two tanks as close as possible. Daily water changes, other additives if possible, etc. Less for a life form to adapt to all at once when the transfer occurs. I find that shrimp are also somewhat less stressed when the lights are dimmer or off, so I usually shut off the lights before I start the acclimation soak/drip/whatever.

Update if anyone would like to know: The new tank is doing great! The amano was transferred and she seems to love it, I also bought her a friend(another female amano). The tank also has some rili red neocaridina and i believe during the newyears celebration they got busy and one shrimp is now berried! Shes still an adolescent and dropped a good portion of the eggs, presumably she hasnt bred yet. Out of 8 rili i think i got 6 females lol all of which are FULL of eggs in their "saddle" so bring on the babies! This will also be my first time attempting to breed actual patterns into shrimp seeing as some of mine have only 2 red legs and the rest are clear. I hope im successful and i shall name them BiPed Reds! Ive just never culled before and so we shall see how affective i am at getting certain patterns!

Back
Top Bottom