anorexic bamboo shrimp

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pl3tco

Aquarium Advice Newbie
So I've had a bamboo shrimp in my tank with one air stone and its just sitting under a rock not eating or anything...what can I do to make it eat?

Should I add another air stone? Or should I add a power head?

Well your tank will not be cycled.
You need a very mature aquarium of at least 6 months to be able to support bamboo shrimp.

you need HOB filter, ones with a waterfall. You need to cycle the tank fast =<

As was mentioned by Scottyhorse, your tank is not mature enough for bamboo shrimp. They feed off microbes that colonize mature filter media, and fan it out off the current.

If you can't rehome it, your best bet is to supplement it's diet with crushed up algae wafers etc. Just google supplementally feeding bamboo shrimp ... If you haven't already. A good filter with flow like an HOB or canister should provide the necessary flow.

You could try to prepare a mix of water and powder for guppies fry. You could load a syringe with it and try to gently inject the mixture close to the shrimp. If he likes it you can feed him with it for few months waiting for the tank to develop a sufficient level of plankton.

If fry food doesn't work you could try crushed spirulina tablets. In any case do not overfeed because the mix could rapidly pollute the tank water.

Back
Top Bottom